YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: The Most Photographed Shack?

  1. #1
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default The Most Photographed Shack?

    I wouldn't know how old this "shack" is,which is on the old stage, of Prince's dock, but I would guess that a fair few photographs of it,have been taken,over the years! I went down there as someone told me, it had finally collapsed,the other week,but it's still up (just) and wondered if there should be a preservation order on it!!!


    ADVERTISING


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000896.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	19018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000897.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	19019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000893.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	19020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000894.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	19021  

  2. #2
    Senior Member GeorgePorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It was the seagulls that did it yer ever seen one o those close up? huge they are and couple o pound in weight.

  3. #3
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    They should deffo do something to try and keep it

  4. #4
    Senior Member GeorgePorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    They should deffo do something to try and keep it
    Hah what! how can you keep something thats on its last legs particulary when the sea and salt air has battered it over the years,wood is wood and this no more than drift wood.

    Your forgetting that the salt will perish the wood,eben new brighton pier couldn't withstand the river mersey...and that was cast iron.

  5. #5
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    What about a time-lapse web-cam?

    Until then, can you get closer, into the thing, close ups???

  6. #6
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    What about a time-lapse web-cam?

    Until then, can you get closer, into the thing, close ups???
    You can,but now unofficially,as the site is considered dangerous.........should I chance it??

  7. #7
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    No.
    An expedition might be mounted, but a single assault should not be attempted. Not for health and safety reasons though, but because I might get sued. Worse still we all might have to read through your story of how all your previous life flashed before your eyes. Best to be safe not sore eh?

  8. #8
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    No.
    An expedition might be mounted, but a single assault should not be attempted. Not for health and safety reasons though, but because I might get sued. Worse still we all might have to read through your story of how all your previous life flashed before your eyes. Best to be safe not sore eh?

  9. #9
    Senior Member pennylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    What was it originally used for Steve ?
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
    Malcolm X

  10. #10
    Senior Member GeorgePorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    What was it originally used for Steve ?
    Come in number 9 your time is up.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pennylane View Post
    What was it originally used for Steve ?
    Don't know,but looks like a hut for some jobsworth,when passenger ships docked there! (ice-cream man?)

  12. #12
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Don't know,but looks like a hut for some jobsworth,when passenger ships docked there! (ice-cream man?)
    According to this http://www.flickr.com/photos/21150995@N03/5114736249/, you're right

    The old remains of the ticket office of the former cruise liner terminal Princes Dock Liverpool


    ---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Hah what! how can you keep something thats on its last legs particulary when the sea and salt air has battered it over the years,wood is wood and this no more than drift wood.

    Your forgetting that the salt will perish the wood,eben new brighton pier couldn't withstand the river mersey...and that was cast iron.
    You're right George, I guess we should just knock it down since it's gonna go eventually. Maybe that's the same attitude the city had with regards to the Overhead Railway, Customs House, David Lewis Theatre.

    Even if it's carefully removed and put somewhere climate controlled in the new museum

  13. #13
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    ...or when carefully and closely documented sawn up and sold as souvenirs. Think "actual cross".

  14. #14
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I had my photo taken standing by this 1980s yes, I think it's an old ticket office.

  15. #15
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I had my photo taken standing by this 1980s yes, it think it's an old ticket office.
    You have a photograph of it in all it's glory Linda? I wonder what you could usefully do with that?
    This also gives the building that little bit of extra cachet.

    [but, who would want old tickets? ]

  16. #16
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I had my photo taken standing by this 1980s yes, it think it's an old ticket office.
    Where is it then ??? Since it was in the 80s, did you use your hairspray anywhere near it ? If so, maybe that's why it's still standing

    Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    but, who would want old tickets?
    Collectors, of course

  17. #17
    Explorer Kevsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post

    Surprised its still standing.Heres one of my pics of it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Where is it then ??? Since it was in the 80s, did you use your hairspray anywhere near it ? If so, maybe that's why it's still standing



    Collectors, of course
    Not sure if I still have the pic - I'll have a root thru' my albums. The place was derelict when I had my photo taken there.

  19. #19
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    ...or when carefully and closely documented sawn up and sold as souvenirs. Think "actual cross".

  20. #20
    Senior Member gregs dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    kirkby
    Posts
    2,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I have just checked and I have taken pics of that hut 17 times over the years, I was led to believe it was the pier masters hut. the local pigeons use it as a loft frequently.
    The wooden gangway which was alongside it seems to have disappeared.[IMG][/IMG]

    Ps. Don`t forget George, this is standing on a wooden pier that has stood in salt water for years without rotting
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

    My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

    http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

  21. #21
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    I have just checked and I have taken pics of that hut 17 times over the years, I was led to believe it was the pier masters hut. the local pigeons use it as a loft frequently.
    The wooden gangway which was alongside it seems to have disappeared.[IMG][/IMG]

    Ps. Don`t forget George, this is standing on a wooden pier that has stood in salt water for years without rotting

  22. #22
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Not sure if I still have the pic - I'll have a root thru' my albums. The place was derelict when I had my photo taken there.
    I had a look for the pic and couldn't find it. I have a vague memory that I might have binned it because I thought it wasn't a very good pic of me !

  23. #23
    Senior Member gregs dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    kirkby
    Posts
    2,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    The hut is just before the old entrance to the Half tide Princes dock which is now sealed off by a concrete wall, but the old dock gates are still there on the other side of the wall, So it could have been used as the dock gate keeper.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

    My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

    http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

  24. #24
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    The hut is just before the old entrance to the Half tide Princes dock which is now sealed off by a concrete wall, but the old dock gates are still there on the other side of the wall, So it could have been used as the dock gate keeper.
    You are probably right, Joe. Given that there was the movie, "Caddyshack" we can at least agree that this was a "Laddy Shack."

    By the way, the ramshackle look of the structure makes it appear much older than it probably is... maybe early twentieth century perhaps?
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  25. #25
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Only a mere antique then Chris, but shall it get much older?

  26. #26
    Senior Member Leon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, Toxteth
    Age
    55
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So many photographers got their inspiration in the shooting of the old pier head ....... I arrived in Liverpool in 2004, I still love to look at it and sometimes to take the pictures.


  27. #27
    Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Liverpool... the Gt part of Britain
    Posts
    918
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I like that photo Leon... the grainy effect is spot on. nice one.


    I took this from on top of the porta cabins when the Alex tower block was being constructed...




    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

  28. #28
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Great pics all

  29. #29
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Great pics all
    Agreed.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!