Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: World War II air raid shelters and defenses in the Liverpool area

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Those anti-tank pyramids I thought were silly - as if the Germans would land tanks around Liverpool. Probably a propaganda ploy. The Anderson shelters were to boost moral nothing else. They could not stop an adjacent bomb hit, never mind a direct one.
    We had to knock down an Anderson shelter years back, might not have took a bomb but it bloomin took 7 workies strength away over 2 days

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    We had to knock down an Anderson shelter years back, might not have took a bomb but it bloomin took 7 workies strength away over 2 days
    where was that Gnomie?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Derek

Thanks for pointing us to your very interesting site. I had a look at the interactive map. I seem to remember dragon's teeth in the fields to the south of the railway bridge on Speke Hall Road. They would have been across the road from the Retail Park but south of the bridge. Am I remembering correctly? This would have been in the Fifties or early Sixties.

I am sure you can answer DaisyChains query about whether there are any other air raid shelters still about in Liverpool. Of course, the Western Approaches Command Centre at Derby House would be one, but I wonder if there might be other air raid shelters in Liverpool still in existence but derelict or put to other uses? In the postwar years, my grandfather used my family's old Anderson shelter as a toolshed and I am sure other Liverpudlians did likewise, so there may be a few of those around as well.

Chris
    Re Dragons Teeth. Chris your memory certainly serves you correctly and more dragons teeth around the Dunlops end off Speke Hall Avenue plus around the railway bridge ,also the railway bridge on HuntsCross avenue, and Hillfoot Avenue, I guess they would have been around all railway bridges

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    where was that Gnomie?
    It was in Widnes back in the late 80`s. i wish i would have took a camera then.

I know a house in Old Swan that had one in the garden, it went undergound. when the new owners decided to get rid of it( only in the 90`s ) they tried to dig/Knock it out. they gave up after 2 days and filled it all in, then placed soil and turfed over it. so it is still there now, though full of rubble and under a garden.

DaisyChains

It was in Widnes back in the late 80`s. i wish i would have took a camera then.

I know a house in Old Swan that had one in the garden, it went undergound. when the new owners decided to get rid of it( only in the 90`s ) they tried to dig/Knock it out. they gave up after 2 days and filled it all in, then placed soil and turfed over it. so it is still there now, though full of rubble and under a garden.
    Brilliant info Gnomie! Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Re Dragons Teeth. Chris your memory certainly serves you correctly and more dragons teeth around the Dunlops end off Speke Hall Avenue plus around the railway bridge ,also the railway bridge on HuntsCross avenue, and Hillfoot Avenue, I guess they would have been around all railway bridges
    I'm at a loss why. Maybe they thought the Germans may take Ireland, who were sympathetic to Germany in WW2 and mount an invasion attempt from there.
    Last edited by Waterways; 01-05-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Cadfael

There were some on the 'GreenHill' bridge spanning between Chelwood Ave and Bentham Drive in Childwall, but you can also see a good amount of them in undergrowth while on the loop line in the Halewood area.

Default Risk to Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Those anti-tank pyramids I thought were silly - as if the Germans would land tanks around Liverpool. Probably a propaganda ploy. The Anderson shelters were to boost moral nothing else. They could not stop an adjacent bomb hit, never mind a direct one.
    The main worry about an invasion of Liverpool or the Lancashire coast, was in the event of Southern Ireland falling to the Nazis. The Sinn Fein leadership in Eire were very supportive of Hitler, indeed they took a wreath to the German Embassy in Dublin on hearing the of the suicide of Adolf! It should be mentioned at this point that the Government of Eire remained neutral throughout the war. But suspicions remained and it wouldn't have been the first time the Germans had gone through a 3rd country to meet their military objective. So there was some risk if a bit remote. Strangely enough one of the first places to be fortified with anti invasion defences was Orkney, and not in the south east England as you might imagine. I suppose with the early presence of German forces in Norway and its Ideal fjords for disembarking an invasion force made it seem like a good bet. On top of which the British fleet had its base in Scapa Flow in itself making it a good candidate for attack.

I love the pictures of the Dragons teeth on the beach, is it Waterloo?

PS, Can anyone tell me how to post pictures here I have a few I'd like to share.
    Derek

If you've saved them on your p/c, just attach them when you do your post, ( it shows on the post form)
    Steve.

Thumbs up Dragons Teeth Halewood

Hi,
    OK I have a mixed motive for this post, I want to see if I can successfully upload a picture and it is in-keeping with the beach photo above.

These are the Dragons teeth behind the motorworks Speke/Halewood where the Transpenine trail crosses the railway. As of September 2007 they were still there but I got word Network Rail are going to remove them. I did write to the local MP to protest but as you'd expect got no reply!!!

Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halewoodteeth.gif 
Views:	645 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	4765  

Should have used one of these Gnomie

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...ediaFile.18262

or

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...ediaFile.18173

Last edited by Ged; 01-10-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Some more here:

Happy browsing......

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...&currentPage=2

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks, Jimmy.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy_b View Post
    Hi,
    OK I have a mixed motive for this post, I want to see if I can successfully upload a picture and it is in-keeping with the beach photo above.

These are the Dragons teeth behind the motorworks Speke/Halewood where the Transpenine trail crosses the railway. As of September 2007 they were still there but I got word Network Rail are going to remove them. I did write to the local MP to protest but as you'd expect got no reply!!!

Derek
    Hi Derek

I don't mind adding my voice to having them saved if the Dragon's teeth are still there as depicted in your photograph. This bit of history should not be lost. Let me know to whom I would need to write. Also maybe somebody here could get an updated photograph of these Halewood Dragon's teeth that might be used in a renewed attempt to have them saved?

Thanks

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

chippie

did someone shay they,ve found my teeff?
    Last edited by chippie; 03-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast