Thread: UNSEEN AND UNPUBLISHED - LIVER STREET - 1939 AND 1973

Default UNSEEN AND UNPUBLISHED - LIVER STREET - 1939 AND 1973

This is the same scene 34 years apart. It is Liver Street seen from Salthouse Lane with Mersey Street running off to the left towards the Customs House on Canning Place and Hurst Street running off to the right to meet Wapping. In the 1973 scene, taken on 19th November, the pub is the Woodman, the Little Woodman pub was on Hill Street, a little further South. Pics are from the LRO. Please use the scrollbar at the bottom of the post to see the full photo or click on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Nice one Ged, cracking photos.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Blog Entries

Excellent Ged, very informative :-)

----------
    Sent from the back of Michael Caine's Mini Cooper S, holding on for dear life......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

[joke] What did the zero say to the eight?*

Is this just a mismatch between large format shots and digital? (lovely pic Ged)

*Nice belt.

The newer picture does seem to have a belted appearance, does it not? With the top storey spilling out.

Just saying.

2 reasons for this.

1) Subsidence or

2) The photo was bent.

I go for No.2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    2 reasons for this.

1) Subsidence or

2) The photo was bent.

I go for No.2
    It looks to me to be a 'fault' in the lens. The focal point is on the pub sign and all around, the image bends more and more. I don't know quite why this is. I do recall that you are given a crude choice of focal lengths on some cameras (let's face it, on the cheaper/every day type). Did you check to see that the camera was set to take pictures at distance? On the other hand this does give the shot more of a 'Dickensian' look. Like the abode of Fagin (I do hope I have spelled that right, for obvious reasons) in the B&W movie.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

P.S.
    Silly me. I have just noticed the cars in the newer shot. It aint that new. The problems of yesteryear need not detain us, keep up the good work.

Cracking Pics Ged. Another one unearthed.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    It looks to me to be a 'fault' in the lens. The focal point is on the pub sign and all around, the image bends more and more. I don't know quite why this is. I do recall that you are given a crude choice of focal lengths on some cameras (let's face it, on the cheaper/every day type). Did you check to see that the camera was set to take pictures at distance? On the other hand this does give the shot more of a 'Dickensian' look. Like the abode of Fagin (I do hope I have spelled that right, for obvious reasons) in the B&W movie.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

P.S.
    Silly me. I have just noticed the cars in the newer shot. It aint that new. The problems of yesteryear need not detain us, keep up the good work.
    My first impression was that it was an example of pincushion distortion. This usually occurs when a poor quality telephoto lens is used at its maximum; it's the opposite of barrel distortion that happens with a wide angle lens.

But the bending that occurs here is very extreme and the shot has clearly been taken from a close position, nearer than in the earlier photo, so this is unlikely. My guess is that the shot was rephotographed with the camera at an angle, with the top and left of the original being somewhat closer to the camera.

Blog Entries

On rereading the text, happily Ged is in no way to blame. Both pics are from the LRO.
    Alas JohnD, the buildings to the right also lurch out. Perhaps the newer pic was done on piece-work.

Great pics Ged, Liver Street is where the rear of Police Headquarters is, the large van on second pic would be by the entrance to the car park of HQ

Thanks for the comments. Yes John, how that area has changed.

Some of the LRO pics are bent/curved - as though they've been rolled up at some point. They do give you rope type weights to keep the edges down but sometimes these can then be captured in the re-photographing process. They obviously frown on you trying to roll them, bend them back the other way. They all of course have to be photographed just 6 or so inches away. This presents a problem in itself as there are a lot of strip lights and natural light in the LRO, especially the new one, so you have to position then re-position the photo accordingly. Better have them this way though than not at all. I am amazed that some of these folders have not been out by anyone before, though a lot are still only being archived as we speak - these makes these truly unseen/unpublished.

Brilliant series of photos of the City Centre. I walk up Liver Street to work nearly every day and it's amazing to see these. I remember seeing a picture from the other end of Mersey Street taken outside the Sailors Home which would link well with these pictures. I'll try and root it out.

They obviously frown on you trying to roll them, bend them back the other way. They all of course have to be photographed just 6 or so inches away.
    Take a pice of glass with you,Ged....place the glass over the photo to flatten the photo...glass out of an old photo frame.

Good idea George. As long as it doesn't cause extra reflection problems.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    Brilliant series of photos of the City Centre. I walk up Liver Street to work nearly every day and it's amazing to see these. I remember seeing a picture from the other end of Mersey Street taken outside the Sailors Home which would link well with these pictures. I'll try and root it out.
    I've saved a copy of that one. It was taken by Bernard Rose and is on his flickr site.