Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: kirkdale

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Geds had a relapse, Canon Hopkins was parish priest for many years at St Johns and lived in Fountains Rd. That building was the priest`s house for St Ollies.
    Father Winder, parish priest of St Ollies (Alphonsus) lived there, and there is a close in Kirkdale named after him..
    Thanks for that Joe,'cause that's what I remember! The school was only round the corner,so you'ld often see him passing,and stop dead in your tracks,till he passed! His female compatriot was the dreaded sister Mary.......no messing with her!!!

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Thanks for that Joe,'cause that's what I remember! The school was only round the corner,so you'ld often see him passing,and stop dead in your tracks,till he passed! His female compatriot was the dreaded sister Mary.......no messing with her!!!
    p.s. Sorry to hear of Ged's relapse!

[IMG][/IMG]
    View from Sandhills station,Kirkdale. Football pitches replacing the old streets of Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,Latham,Evelyn,and one side of Lambeth Rd.
    To see this many trees years ago you would have to go to the parks or the country.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Lambeth Road from the station
    [IMG][/IMG]
    View from the station over the Huskisson Dock with it`s tug masts and sheds towards St Peter and Paul`s church New Brighton
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

They're good pictures GD

Hi, Im posting here for the first time.
    I wondered if anyone who knows the Westminster Rd area remembers the Claremont Hotel Pub. My Great Aunt and Uncle ran it in the fifties. Their names were Marty and Norah Walsh. I also wondered what happened to it subsequently, when was it demolished for instance? I'll be grateful for any info. Great site . Chris Q

Hi Chris,welcome to Yo! A good place to look for pic's,etc,would be Ged's site www.inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7 which has got thousands of photo's,(and does take a while to load,sometimes!)

Thanks, I'll do that!

Chris q

Very interested to read your post as my great grandparent ran The Claremont - certainly in 1946 - not sure until when. They were Patrick and Margaret Walsh - could your great uncle also be mine? My grandmother Alice Walsh had a brother Martin.

Helen

Hi Helen,
    it seems likely doesn't it ? Even though I didn't know your family personally I believe there were three siblings Patrick, Peggy and Marty Walsh. I hadn't heard of Alice until now. My great aunt left the pub in 1963 after Marty died and apparently it closed down. I wonder if you have any more info to clear up some of the facts . Has your Mum ever talked about my great aunt Norah before ? After all this time since originally posting it is fascinating to hear from you as there seems little info about this pub online .

Hi Chris,

Very good to be in contact with you! Alice was the oldest of the family and there was also Tommy (not sure if he was older or younger than Martin) and Hannah who died in the 30's. My mother has lots of memories of the pub and of Martin and Norah. She knew Norah before she married Martin and remembers that as a small child Norah would give them christmas presents. She has Peggy's wedding photo in which Norah is a bridesmaid. After Martin died Norah went to live in West Kirby.
    If you want to e-mail me I'm sure we could give you more information. How are you related?

Helen

Having looked through some photos Norah features in quite a few!

Akira I can understand as there are few Japanese or even anime fans in this area, but Ezra... we live in what people might call the bible belt of the US... chances are any given person you talk to has at least 1 or more bibles at home.

Quote Originally Posted by kamrikkon View Post
    Akira I can understand as there are few Japanese or even anime fans in this area, but Ezra... we live in what people might call the bible belt of the US... chances are any given person you talk to has at least 1 or more bibles at home.
    yes, you are quite right

Hi Helen ,
    I am Norah's younger sister's, Muriel, grandson. It is only recently that I was thinking of Norah and her years at the pub and wondering if people remembered much about them. I knew her well as a child until she died in 1994. Do you know much about Martin and what he was like, as my Dad only vaguely remembers him. Have you seen pictures of the pub, and would you know what exactly happened to it after Norah left? It's great and unexpected to talk to one of the Walsh family.
    Chris

The Claremont.

Listed at 93 Westminster Road at its junction with a narrow alley named Grove Place. This photo from the early 60s was when it was managed by Margaret Ellen Towers. The adjoining Chemist was ran by Rae Hartley. This site later became part of a school playground.

Photo LRO. Infromation: Freddy O'Connor.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

thanks for the photo - lovely to see the pub!
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by chris q View Post
    Hi Helen ,
    I am Norah's younger sister's, Muriel, grandson. It is only recently that I was thinking of Norah and her years at the pub and wondering if people remembered much about them. I knew her well as a child until she died in 1994. Do you know much about Martin and what he was like, as my Dad only vaguely remembers him. Have you seen pictures of the pub, and would you know what exactly happened to it after Norah left? It's great and unexpected to talk to one of the Walsh family.
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

I'll send you a message in the next couple of days after I've quizzed my mother some more! Would love to see pics and to know more although I do have a photo of Martin behind the bar and of family members outside. My mother used to write to Norah but lost contact I think when Norah moved back to Liverpool.

Helen

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast