Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: kirkdale

Anyone got any idea what they are building on the corner of Boundary Street and Stanley Road near the community court

Last edited by Billy D; 08-22-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: saving space on yoliverpool

Hi Billy D,
    did you know the late Canon Hopkins whose pic you use for your profile image ?
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

I got an electric shock when I saw that photo of Westminster Rd. and Tintern St. That is the street my Nin lived in and the third shop from the corner was where the Misses Coyne used to sell us glasses of Fantas and let us have a go in the 1d lucky dip. It was an old cheese barrel filled with sawdust and penny wonders. The back of the counter was lined with all manner of sweet jars which were full of bulls eyes,gobstoppers,spanish,pontrefact cakes and Williamsons toffees to name just a few. Jess and I used to spend some of our pocket money there after visiting Nins' on a Sunday.
    Happy ,long gone, days,
    BrianD

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Hi Billy D,
    did you know the late Canon Hopkins whose pic you use for your profile image ?

Farther Hopkins was real fire and Brimstone,,,,,,,and when i was a kid i was scared to death of him,,,,,,But looking back ,he was a good friend to the family,,,,(ie The comnunity),,,,,

He once caught me and me mate running through the girls school,,,,and he gave us a good hidin,,,,then dragged us home,,,,,where another good hidin was waitin,,,,

Bill

Father Hopkins had something in common with the Beatles. He used to play the bass fiddle every friday in our class in St Johns school,his signature tune
    was My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean, which was one of the Beatles very first
    recordings.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

I put this up once before on the way we were thread. I think it's in one of the flower streets.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    I got an electric shock when I saw that photo of Westminster Rd. and Tintern St. That is the street my Nin lived in and the third shop from the corner was where the Misses Coyne used to sell us glasses of Fantas and let us have a go in the 1d lucky dip. It was an old cheese barrel filled with sawdust and penny wonders. The back of the counter was lined with all manner of sweet jars which were full of bulls eyes,gobstoppers,spanish,pontrefact cakes and Williamsons toffees to name just a few. Jess and I used to spend some of our pocket money there after visiting Nins' on a Sunday.
    Happy ,long gone, days,
    BrianD

Hey Brian

My Nin also lived in Tintern Street,,,,I have got a couple more pics,,and i will try and find them,,,,,maybe your Nins House is on one of them

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I put this up once before on the way we were thread. I think it's in one of the flower streets.

Great Pic Ged,,

Quote Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
    Hey Brian

My Nin also lived in Tintern Street,,,,I have got a couple more pics,,and i will try and find them,,,,,maybe your Nins House is on one of them

Bill
    Brian + Billy
    My mum lived in Tintern Street her maiden name was Thomson, I think this was her auntie's house. She married my dad who lived in Fountains Rd and got married (as i did) in St. Johns.
    I been searchin for ages for a pic of Tintern St to show my mum, but she went into hospital a week or two before ye posted that pic, and has now sadly passed on. But if ye have any more pics please post em! i'd love to see what that street was like, i've still got an auntie left who used to live there with my mum, and she would be chuffed to see more pics. At a guess i'd say my mum lived there in the 1940's and at the time she worked in "Kirks" on Gt. Homer St.

Blog Entries

Hi Billy D,my Nins surname was Daleyand her maiden name was Maher,she and Granddad(Billy Daley) had a host of children who nearly all lived in Kirkdale.My aunt Peggy lived at the bottom of the street,next door to the snooker rooms,she had a big family too. The last family get together was held in the old police station ,which is now a pub,when we celebrated my uncle Georges 70th birthday.It was a fantastic do and the top room was chock full of relations. Sadly,the only get togethers since then have been funerals. But they ended up as lively affairs as our Irish blood will always out!!
    Last edited by brian daley; 06-10-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Devo. More pics of Tintern Street on here.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m..._01/?start=140

Last edited by Ged; 06-10-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Superb!
    Can't wait to show my Auntie them pics later today. The best has to be the list of residents in 1938 along with their job title's
    http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...938Tintern.jpg
    My mum and my auntie went to live with their auntie back in 1938/9 so they must remember many of the people on that list. The name Boyle rings a bell but i'll have to quiz my aunt first.

Great to also see the pictures of Gt. Mersey St.
    Now i know what preceeded the advertisment hordings at the top of Gt. Mersey St. + Lancaster St.
    "The Great Mersey" What a fantastic name for a Pub!

Also colour pics of the Gt Mersey on my site below.

That was a local (or one of them) of my Kirkdale in-laws.

Thanks Ged!
    Update:
    Thanks to the picture of the list of people who lived in Tintern St. in 1938, i've now found out that my mum lived at No.18 for a short time with her auntie (Vogel), then after the death of their guardian moved to No.14 to live with freinds (Hanson).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast