Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: kirkdale

This is part of Kirkdale as it is now.the green field covers some lost streets ,Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,and Latham Streets, The large building on the left is the old British American factory now residential called Tobacco
    Wharf. On the Horizon is the Grosnvenor cinema now an undertakers and the old library now a furniture store. The lane on the left is Sandhills once cobbled and used by Tate and Lyle horse drawn wagons to transport the sugar to their refinery. Every winter there would be lots of horses falling on the cobbles with the ice and snow,and lots of little boys with plenty of sugar for their toffee apples,
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Great pic and memories Joe.

That Pleroma/McBurney distribution premises in the hollow of the BAT is some site isn't it, I expect you'll remember it as railway sidings etc.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Thanks Ged. You can see the Gordon Institute a bit further along Stanley Rd
    in your pic,used to go in there to watch amatuer boxing championships when
    I was a schoolboy. Watched about 40 bouts for sixpence
    gregs dad
    I never got round to walking down that part of Stanley Road but I do
    have fond memories of the Gordon Institute which was a haven to young
    people in the 30's. It had fairly strong connections with the local Scouting
    packs and I remember going there several times to pass the exams for all
    my proficiency badges when I was in the Cubs ( does Housekeeping,
    Collecting, Flag Signalling, Knots ring a bell)? My pack was based at Saint
    Aths and I was quite keen for a few years. The highlights used to be the
    parades round the vicinity behind the Band and especially the big Bass Drum!
    I had to transfer to the Scouts after the age of 12 but never had the same
    enthusiasm and soon gave them up. Is the Scout movement still active
    and is there still a Troop at Saint Aths? Or is there even a Saint Aths?
    Thanks for all the various bits of info, pics etc. Kev They're
    much appreciated? Stan H

Default sugar

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post

This is part of Kirkdale as it is now.the green field covers some lost streets ,Aspinall,Rockingham,Flinders,and Latham Streets, The large building on the left is the old British American factory now residential called Tobacco
    Wharf. On the Horizon is the Grosnvenor cinema now an undertakers and the old library now a furniture store. The lane on the left is Sandhills once cobbled and used by Tate and Lyle horse drawn wagons to transport the sugar to their refinery. Every winter there would be lots of horses falling on the cobbles with the ice and snow,and lots of little boys with plenty of sugar for their toffee apples,
    Yes, but remember this was before it was refined. It was dark brown in
    colour, dense and heavy, mixed up with all sorts of dubious bits of vegetable
    matter, and above all extremely sticky. It took ages to get rid of and if you were unlucky enough to get any on your clothes a rough reception when you
    got home was certain. I actually preferred to get behind the Scammell steam
    lorries carrying thick black molasses for refining into treacle and dipping my
    fingers in the big outlet pipe at the back. But you usually ended up in a bit
    of a mess whatever you chose.
    Stan H

What are the flower streets like now? I'm looking at a place on Pansy St. with reasonable rent and it looks like a lovely place from the photos. Would it be a good place to choose?

Very mixed feelings depending on which aspect you're coming from.

My in-laws live here and have very little trouble, in fact they won't move, they quite like it, easy for town with buses running regularly from there.

Youths do tend to hang around Stanley Road which is the main road that all the flower streets run off and although not all are trouble makers, the Pansy pub owner was robbed on a couple of occassions when banking the takings last year and the post office was 'regularly done'. The off licences and takeaway food outlets seem to be favourite hanging about places.

The Easby estate facing is run down and in the middle of being boarded up to be demolished so it can be isolated, a number of pubs are closed down in the area.

Generally, as in most places, a vast majority of the local residents are fine people who take pride in their properties, the two or three shop owners I know from that stretch are great and the fact they're still there and have been for many years says a lot.

Question Fountains Road

I lived in Medlock Street, Kirkdale from the early to mid-50's and moved out about 1971 to Skelmersdale when they were clearing the area. I've passed through Kirkdale a few times and very little has been done to it since then.

We used to play in Fountains Road, I think it was an old church that was no longer used. It was opposite St John's Church. We used to call it a synagogue but I don't think that can be right. We were only about 5. Can anyone else remember this church/synagogue and what was it called?

Beth

Could it be the original St Athenasius church, a newish one is there now on the corner of Fonthill Road.

Default Fountains Road

Hi Ged

That's probably it. Can't remember much about it except it was closed but it would have been in the week.

thanks

Beth.

Beth, My mother and my wife both lived in Medlock Street (at different times) while i myself was brought up in Aintree only to return to get married in St. Johns Church in Fountains road and live locally on the Lancaster estate. there are some great pics that may interest you at http://www.kirkdaleonline.co.uk/full_list.htm
    Names from my family include Burke, Hesketh, Thompson.
    Always nice to see Medlock st mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I lived in Medlock Street, Kirkdale from the early to mid-50's and moved out about 1971 to Skelmersdale when they were clearing the area. I've passed through Kirkdale a few times and very little has been done to it since then.

We used to play in Fountains Road, I think it was an old church that was no longer used. It was opposite St John's Church. We used to call it a synagogue but I don't think that can be right. We were only about 5. Can anyone else remember this church/synagogue and what was it called?

Beth
    Hi Beth,
    I used to live round the corner,in Rumney rd, opposite the Kirkdale homes,which was our playground! My school,St.Johns, was just off Fountains rd,and I vaguely remember the synagogue,(I think?) but didn't know what it was! I've attached pic' of same,and hope it's the one your looking for?
    Steve.

pic' courtesy of L.R.O.

Well done Steve so it was a synagogue then.

Ta Ged,
    that's what it says on the tin, but as I said,only vague memories of it! Anyone have info' on the jewish community,I assume,lived in the area?

Then of course there was Kirkdale Prison in Fountains Road. Scene of many executions by the likes of Calcraft. Ive only ever seen drawings of the place. Any photos Ged?

Hiya, yes there's one on here supplied by Taffy.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...=kirkdale+jail

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast