Thread: St. Cyprian's Church,Liverpool,July 2010.

Arrow St. Cyprian's Church,Liverpool,July 2010.

Sadly at the moment i can't find much history on this Church, only that it was designed by Culshaw & Summers in 1881.
    I think it closed around about 2008 & i dont think it is listed,which is a shame. The whole area is up for major regenaration..

Report from LIVERPOOL ECHO-
    HOME demolitions to make way for the regeneration of Liverpool’s Edge Lane gateway will finally get underway in the New Year.
    It will mark a milestone in the scheme, which includes widening the road, and has been delayed for years by legal wrangles.
    Homes between Marmaduke Street, Dorothy Street, and Peet Street will start being pulled down early in January, kicking off a six month demolition programme.
    Officials at the city’s regeneration agency Liverpool Vision hope the work will draw a line in the sand after several delays and disputes.
    Rob Monaghan of Liverpool Vision said: “We have done an awful lot of work to get to where we are.
    “The area has had a sticking plaster over it for the past 30 years, this is now being dealt with. This is about the remaking of a neighbourhood.”
    In all 371 homes will be demolished to make way for the new road, homes, a commercial hub, and a health centre.
    Bellway Homes is currently in the process of submitting a planning application for the new homes and it is hoped building will start in late summer 2010.
    The road, which will now cost £57.7m, up from £40.4m four years ago, is currently awaiting final funding approval from the Department for Transport.
    It is hoped the DfT will approve its share of the cash by April allowing work on the new road itself to start in June or July.
    Work on the commercial hub, based off Jubilee Drive, is unlikely to start until the effects of the recession have gone. It is hoped progress can start being made in early 2011.
    The health centre is not likely to see significant progress until the end of 2010.
    Mr Monaghan said the scheme started out originally looking at the road but has grown into a “comprehensive package of regeneration” for the area.
    But not everyone was convinced of the need for a widescale demolition programme.
    Grandmother Elizabeth Pascoe, of Adderley Street, fought a long campaign against the plans which saw her mount a number of legal challenges.
    The court battle cost her around £40,000 in legal fees but she always insisted it was the right thing to do.
    The battle over compulsory purchase orders came to an end in March this year when the High Court in London refused to overturn the order.

thanks.
    "Its a hobby,not a way of life"

Absolutely fantastic WIMR. Brilliantly documented.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Great pic's WIMR!

What fantastic pictures. I pass this church regularly and I've often wondered what it's like inside...............wonderful!

Nice one, great photos.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Superb mate.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Excellent photos. Nice one WIMR.

Blog Entries

excellent pics ...but sad to see too
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Fantstic! Does anyone know what denomination the church was. Ive never heard that name elsewhere.

Blog Entries

is it geting knocked down soon? looks in a bad state.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Fantstic! Does anyone know what denomination the church was. Ive never heard that name elsewhere.
    I think it's C of E it's definately not Catholic by the looks of it.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    is it geting knocked down soon? looks in a bad state.
    It seem to remember that it was due to demolition but then there was a preservation order made (quite rightly). I seem to remember Spike knowing about this. Thank God there are people who feel so strongly about saving beautiful buildings like this. The worrying thing is whether or not it will be preserved, or left to rot.

It is Anglican, I looked it up.
    When the smoke has cleared and the bullets cease.another soldier rests in peace. The politicians who caused the fight, rest at home no danger in sight

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    I think it's C of E it's definately not Catholic by the looks of it.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

It seem to remember that it was due to demolition but then there was a preservation order made (quite rightly). I seem to remember Spike knowing about this. Thank God there are people who feel so strongly about saving beautiful buildings like this. The worrying thing is whether or not it will be preserved, or left to rot.
    Best keep the fire brigade on their toes then.

I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.