Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can anyone help me?

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As you say Lindy, those few decades apart seem worlds apart now. We may have progressed in technology and living standards but selfishness and greed has replaced community spirit in lots of cases.
    Sadly How very true Ged.

The world was a nicer place then.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I was lucky not to have experienced poverty. My dad was a factory worker and my mum a shop worker. They struggled to buy their own house and between them they made it into a lovely home. My dad was a keen DIYer and my mum very house proud so they made the house like a palace.
    Lindy, did you ever read the book by Helen Forrester 'Tuppence to cross the Mersey'? It was resentment of the above type of things which seemed to permeate her writing. The book, IMHO, gushed with resentment of how the working class neighbours in Liverpool were able to manage to stay clean, feed and still lavish their children with love and attention.

I once sat next to Helen Forrester on a flight from London to Toronto and had a very lengthy conversation with her. She agreed that what I have said above, about her story, does seem to come across as resentment but she never meant it to come across that way. I wonder?
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-15-2007 at 01:03 AM.
    Help find Madeleine

No I havn't read that book.

The Helen Forrester and Catherine Cookson type books .. read one and you've read them all. Always a predictable style if you know what I mean.

I don't go for those type of books as I don't like that style of writing.

chippie

I,ve got about 100 of these fictional books, I read them from time to time to see how the author,s mind works. It,s like watching a chef making a meal, a little bit of fiction, a dash of truth. Some truth with a helping of fiction.

I remember when Catherine Cookson was hugely popular during the 1970s when her books first came out. Everyone used to buy them or go on the waiting list for them in the library. My mum had all of them - I did read them in those days when I was young and my reading tastes were undeveloped shall we say but I wouldn't go for that kind of book now.
    In the wake of Cookson's popularity there started to emerge lots more of these style of books, written in a similar vein and centered around various regions, a lot being northern, Merseyside or Liverpool based.

very popular with housewives and pensioners. - tongue in cheek - but you know what I mean. There is usually a queue for those kind of books in the library.

Nothing wrong with them if you like that kind of thing.

researching for a book nynysuts's Avatar

I've read a few 'Liverpool' sagas in my time, but I hope to aim this book, when I get round to writing it, at young people in their late teens. I don't think the libraries need any more predictable books set in Liverpool, so far I've planned a book with a bit of a twist. The basic story is about how friendships and feelings change over time, focussing on a boy and girl who are childhood friends. Think that sounds OK? I've not finalised anything yet, although I've written about ten first paragraphs! I can't decide when to start!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12