Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colomendy

chippie

Sounds like me mucker on this forum to me.

Gerard was that you who said that?

Default Colomendy Information Required

Hiya,

Can anyone help me, back in about 1973, my brother was at boarding school at Colomendy in the top camp, does anyone know what the correct name of the top camp was, I seem to think it was Glyn Allan, although I am not too sure, anyone got any idea?
    Visit my website at My Liverpool

Default I was there

I went to Colomendy twice, in 1972 and 73. It was great. For a lad from a big family living in Gerrard Crescent tennements in town and never been on a holiday, it was brill.

Blog Entries

Here's the Colomendy thread:

Click Here

There are plenty of Colomendy photographs taken by me here

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

John(Zappa)

Good pics them Kev.
    I loved Colomendy.I went 3 times with my junior school.
    Much fun was had.

Blog Entries

cheers john, some of the best experiences of my childhood where at Colomendy. Sad that most Liverpool school's have now been priced out of the newer, improved Colomendy.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheilsy View Post
    Hiya,

Can anyone help me, back in about 1973, my brother was at boarding school at Colomendy in the top camp, does anyone know what the correct name of the top camp was, I seem to think it was Glyn Allan, although I am not too sure, anyone got any idea?
    This is right, it was Glyn Allan

Steven

At one time Colomendy was the only chance for many Liverpool kids to have a bit of a holiday. The top camp was called Glyn Allan and I think it was used for children in Care. Later, when Mr Taylor became the head of Colomendy he hired the top camp out to various schools, often for art weekends.
    Last edited by Steven; 01-12-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    At one time Colomendy was the only chance for many Liverpool kids to have a bit of a holday.
    That was the case for my dad. In fact, Colomendy was my only holiday at the time too.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

chippie

I,ve heard a lot about coller mendy on these pages but my gran told me about my Uncle Bob had a chance to go there back in the war years and apparently he wrote back home to tell his mum to either come for him or he is going to walk the rail track home. And he came from a very poor home too, it just goes to show that not everyone is the same.

just found this thread on Colomendy, god it brought back so many great memories, I went there two or three times in the early 70s, absolutely loved it. Remember that the parents where allowed to visit us one day. Also remember the Glyn Allen school next door, we were told it was a school for naughty kids, not sure how true it was but we used to have a good laugh with them through the fence. Remember having to collect stuff for the nature table, also walking up moel famau and rolling down!! great stuff. thing is I always thought it was the other side of the world, it was only when I lived in North Wales for a short time that I realised it was just down the road!! Dont know if anyone else heard the story about the ghost of a tramp in the end dormitory on the top camp, we used to be terrified when going to sleep in case he came and got us, everyone used to get the giggles, with the odd kid crying wanting to go home cos they were so scared. Also walking over devils bridge, we were all in awe of it!!! Happy days!!!! Good pics Kev

John(Zappa)

Yeah Carole Colomendy was brill for me.
    I rember all those places you mentioned,the devils walk was my favourite.
    I won "Helper of the week" one year and also I won "the fancy dress" as Dracula another year.
    The dare to streak through the girls dorm was always a good one (did you get one?).
    I remember coming home andmy mum having to put some smelly stuff on my head because it was alive with "mendy" nits.
    Ahh what fun times

Well I think I missed out John cos dont remember anyone streaking through our dorm!! I am sure I would not have forgot thatI never got helper of the week cos I was always a bit naughty, not really bad but quite mischevious, did love it there though, remember going to it on the old green bus, happy days!!! remember watching the film "please sir" and it so reminded me of colomendy !

John(Zappa)

What ? No streaker?? Ohh you missed out alright (haha).
    Don't know if you've seen this before...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/capit...ry/index.shtml
    some interesting info

great link John, brought back some more memories, but sadly do not have any of streaker boo hoo!! remember getting the pocket money dished out to us and we all thought we were rich!! as you say Happy Days!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast