Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Colomendy

From a Liverpool Echo suppliment.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Debra

Aww , it's just like i remember it Ged , i have some photo's in my Dad's , i'll have to root them out ..

Interested to see if anyone has more history of Colomendy - Kev seems to have some. It was my great grandparents' home in the 1920's/30's!! (James and Millicent Taylor).

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this! Studying family history and have found references to pre-war Colomendy to do with the Hoosons. Apparently my gran stayed there with them when she was young. (She was Ellen Jones born in Liverpool in 1887) I have managed to find out that Hugh Hooson did live there with his wife, Elsie Jones, could this be the connection? They only married about 1920 so it doesn't seem to go far back enough but I can't work out whether the previous generation lived there or not. Thomas Hooson with his wife Margaret (parents of Hugh) is on the Denbighshire census from 1881, then at a farm or village called Nant, but does anyone have access to original images to see where they were after marriage? They are at Henllan in 1901, maybe this is Colomendy? Anyone have any info on this time? Thanks, Flower

Hi Flower, welcome to Yo,and hope someone on here can help!

Thanks for the welcome, Wsteve55! Not sure what the family connection is supposed to be as 'cousin' can really be almost anything. Flower

I went to Colomendy with Notre Dame, Woolton as a pupil and as a helper and teacher with Holy Family, Cronton.
    Great times.
    The first time I went was in 1975 with Notre Dame. We stayed in the wooden dorms with the bunk beds.
    The toilets, sinks and showers were outside in a separate wooden hut. Don't remember getting a shower for the whole week. Think I was put off by the resident insect life. The toilet paper was that hard Liverpool Education stuff, so when we went to Mold for the day we liberated some luxurious soft stuff from the public toilets. We flattened the rolls and hid them in our socks. Not sure how the teachers missed that.

Bridgeen

First time I ever saw a shower was at Colomendy. Id never been away from home so it took a while for me to settle down but I remember our Geography Teacher having to take another lass home she hated it so much.

Hi guys, I have not been on for a while, but this forum is very interesting, I never went there, but I did cycle over there lots of time in the mid 50s Logger heads , Mold , Lake Bala etc I do have staying with me at the moment, the retired head from Notre Damme Everton Valley, and she has some good thoughts on Collermendy.

Yes I remember Colomendy, the only thing that I did not like was the food, we lived on Mars Bars all week.
    I still have the payment card that my mum kept, the other photo looks like that we had been playing cricket, I’m the one second from the left with his hands in his pockets.
    I met my first girlfriend at the camp; she lived in Upper Mann Street.
    Stan.

Just came across this pic' of Colomendy,which shows the lower camp,I think? Brought back memories of walking up Moel Famau in the snow,with the gym teacher,and losing one of our group in the snow...............no such thing as hypothermia then!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COLOMENDY.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	17825  

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    From a Liverpool Echo suppliment.

Get with it Stevieboy

Went camping with a few friends many,many years ago opposite the Colomendy camp,we met up with a friend who was staying in the camp. He invited us in to use the outdoor swimmng pool but after looking at the state of it we declined.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Went camping with a few friends many,many years ago opposite the Colomendy camp,we met up with a friend who was staying in the camp. He invited us in to use the outdoor swimmng pool but after looking at the state of it we declined.
    We were only there 5 minutes,and a guy called Frannie Boyle went through the ice, on the frozen pool!! (oh, how we laughed )

Ice is good for Boyles.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast