Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanford Avenue, Orrell Park

Default Hanford Avenue, Orrell Park

Does anyone know why the odd numered houses on this road jump from 13 to 23?

Haddon Avenue runs inbetween these two houses and 1-13 are newer possibly post war houses, so I would imagine the original houses may have been bombed during the war, but why the weird numbering?

I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Blog Entries

I have had a good look via Google maps and it seems that the new houses on that first block are bigger than the older ones...so 1 to 21 were 'bombed', that is 11 old houses replaced by 7 new ones. What chaos might ensue renumbering the whole street?

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    I have had a good look via Google maps and it seems that the new houses on that first block are bigger than the older ones...so 1 to 21 were 'bombed', that is 11 old houses replaced by 7 new ones. What chaos might ensue renumbering the whole street?
    Cheers Oudeis, makes sense to me. They are a little bigger yes.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

I don't see any bomb damage. I have checked a pre-war directory and the street numbering is identical to the current pattern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alansimp View Post
    I don't see any bomb damage. I have checked a pre-war directory and the street numbering is identical to the current pattern.
    And yet there is still the size difference, but if you have access to other source material...maybe there was a gas explosion, subsidence, plague or just a fire. There surely is a logical explanation.

This is the 1938 directory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanford-avenue.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	18916

Allen

Blog Entries

Fair enough Allen, good man.

All I need to know now is..."Christian Pattern Maker". (No.29) What does anybody think that might entail?

Cheers Alan, that's great. I don't suppose you've got the right side as well have you?

1-13 definitely look like later houses to me. They're completely different to the rest of the street and indeed the vast majority of the estate.

Must be some reason for the difference.

Hanford - RHS

Name:	hanford-right.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	18918

Quote Originally Posted by alansimp View Post
    Hanford - RHS

Name:	hanford-right.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	18918
    Cheers Allen

Blog Entries

Hanford Avenue at the corner with Moss lane does look odd from above (google maps) the gardens of the larger properties start off small and dwindle to nothing. I did wonder if the 'new' properties were flats, but I can see no door-bells never mind double door-bells. I see no dust-bins out at the front either, but there is something of a 'jigger' round the back.
    Stumping, is it not?

No they are houses and later than the others.

There are garages at the back of them where the jigger is.

The house on the corner of Hanford and Haddon, the one a different shape to the others used to be a shop.

The entrarance was where the little window is now on the Haddon side.

I live in Hanford and am particularly interested to find out more about the history.
    I know the Carlton on Moss Lane was hit during ww2 and am sure it wasnt the only H.E to hit the area. Making some enquirers at present to find out if Hanford was hit. A neighbour told me there was shrapnel marks in their yard once, not too sure though.....

Keep you posted.

Andy

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by platinumhorse View Post
    I live in Hanford and am particularly interested to find out more about the history.
    I know the Carlton on Moss Lane was hit during ww2 and am sure it wasnt the only H.E to hit the area. Making some enquirers at present to find out if Hanford was hit. A neighbour told me there was shrapnel marks in their yard once, not too sure though.....
    Keep you posted.
    Andy
    Nice one Andy. My old fella lives by Orrell Park.
    Here's an old pic...

Name:	Orrel Park Bridge.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	21139

Looking at the photo showing the Orrell Park Ballroom reminds me that high up on the sort of gable end are two separate red embossed plaques, one showing `Orrel` the other `Park`. I wonder if the former, with one `L`, is simply a spelling mistake, or whether the district was originally `Orrel`, becoming `Orrell` later. If neither, is there an explanation ? ( I don`t know the area that well, although my parents lived in Tatton Road for a few years in the early `60s )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast