YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanford Avenue, Orrell Park

Thanks

Default Hanford Avenue, Orrell Park

Does anyone know why the odd numered houses on this road jump from 13 to 23?

ADVERTISING

Haddon Avenue runs inbetween these two houses and 1-13 are newer possibly post war houses, so I would imagine the original houses may have been bombed during the war, but why the weird numbering?
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have had a good look via Google maps and it seems that the new houses on that first block are bigger than the older ones...so 1 to 21 were 'bombed', that is 11 old houses replaced by 7 new ones. What chaos might ensue renumbering the whole street?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    I have had a good look via Google maps and it seems that the new houses on that first block are bigger than the older ones...so 1 to 21 were 'bombed', that is 11 old houses replaced by 7 new ones. What chaos might ensue renumbering the whole street?
    Cheers Oudeis, makes sense to me. They are a little bigger yes.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Thanks

I don't see any bomb damage. I have checked a pre-war directory and the street numbering is identical to the current pattern.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alansimp View Post
    I don't see any bomb damage. I have checked a pre-war directory and the street numbering is identical to the current pattern.
    And yet there is still the size difference, but if you have access to other source material...maybe there was a gas explosion, subsidence, plague or just a fire. There surely is a logical explanation.

Thanks

This is the 1938 directory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanford-avenue.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	18916

Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast