Thread: Emigration from and Migration to Liverpool

Default Emigration from and Migration to Liverpool

Don,t know if this is the right section to post but please can any one tell me if some one emigrated to Canada from Liverpool in 1913 where would they have gone from which place..

Thanks Caterina..

Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Don,t know if this is the right section to post but please can any one tell me if some one emigrated to Canada from Liverpool in 1913 where would they have gone from which place.
    If you mean what port did they leave from then the answer would be, most likely, Liverpool and the arrival port would, again, most likely, have been Halifax, NS.
    Help find Madeleine

I'm guessing they would've left from the big landing stage at Prince's Dock.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I'm guessing they would've left from the big landing stage at Prince's Dock.
    Yes, and probably got off the train at Riverside Station which was part of the site.

Hi Caterina
    I have been told that the Port of Halifax Pier 21, which is now a Canadian Histotrical Heritage site, are amassing a database of all immigrants who passed through that port into Canada. Perhaps if you contacted them they might be able to put you on the right track. Also, Liverpool University are custodians of the Cunard archives which include ships manifests and passenger lists, it might be worth a try in you knew they sailed on a Cunard ship. Good luck.
    Help find Madeleine

Default Liverpool to Canada 1913

Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Don,t know if this is the right section to post but please can any one tell me if some one emigrated to Canada from Liverpool in 1913 where would they have gone from which place..

Thanks Caterina..
    Almost certainly left via the Liverpool Landing stage. See link for photo

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...MediaFile.5994

Default Re Emigration.

Thanks to everyone for the information you have given me . You are so quick with it all .. It was my Granmother who emigrated to Canada Toronto Ontario and my Dad was born there butthey came back about the 1930,s. My granmother was sent her engagement ring by Grandad and then he sent her a 2nd class ticket to go to Canada to marry him. When WWI broke out my Grandad fought in a Canadian Regiment was wounded in France. I still have his Cap Badge and a maple leaf badge you sewed on your uniform..

Caterina..

Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this thread, I hope you don't mind me changing the title a little . This has potential
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

All of my grandmothers' brothers and sisters emigrated to Canada about 1910, except my grandmother who couldn't go because my mother (then aged 6) had ear trouble.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-14-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Mum was 6 (not 10) in 1910.

Before the First World War, my grandfather, George T. Matchett, went to Canada for a couple of years in 1910. He worked on a farm and as a cowboy out in Saskatchewan. He left via the Princes Landing Stage and returned via it in 1912. His grandmother was there waiting for him on the landing stage, . . . although he had not written to say he was returning. . . she just had an intuition he would be returning that day. How amazing is that!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    His grandmother was there waiting for him on the landing stage, . . . although he had not written to say he was returning. . . she just had an intuition he would be returning that day. How amazing is that!
    Which subject, ESP, deserves a thread of it's own. But yes Chris, it's amazing.
    Help find Madeleine

Default Re Emigration

It,s interesting to know about people emigrating i bet there are some stories to tell. My Grandad was a bricklayer he used to say it was so hot in the summer and so cold you couldn,t work in the winter. When my grandad was fighting in in France in WW1 my gran did not see him for two years and she had four children to look after she used to go cleaning and did mention a convent she used to clean at.Once grandad told he was walking down the street and a bank robbery was going on needless to say he got behind some thing out of the way. When he was wounded in France he did mention going to a place in Richmond down south to recuperate beforegoing back to Canada and he said the Canadians got loads of extra stuff rations than the Tommies and used to share them out..

Caterina.

Default Re Emigratin.

Just had a look at Grandads Cap Badge it says 18 Western Ontario on it.. Also had a metal object about the size of a chunky lipstick and it made into a corkscrew my eldest son has this to remember his Great Grandad by.

Caterina..