YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Melly (August 17 1926 - July 5, 2007)

Thanks

George Melly, jazz singer - born 17 August 1926 in Liverpool,educated at Stowe public school where he discovered his interest in modern art, jazz and blues. He rose to fame with Mick Mulliganís Magnolia Jazz Band. From 1965-1973 he was a critic for The Observer. He also lectures on art history.

ADVERTISING

Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks

Default George Melly

George Melly, jazz legend, writer and raconteur, was born in 1926 and made his name in the late 40s and 50s, singing with Mick Mulligan's band. In the 1960s he switched careers and became one of the UK's most ubiquitous critics, writers and TV personalities. He has published many books, including his acclaimed three previous volumes of autobiography: Owning Up (1965), Rum, Bum and Concertina (1977) and Scouse Mouse (1984). In 2004 George Melly was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the BBC's Jazz Awards.

Just got back from listening to him giving a reading at Liverpool Art School from his new book Slowing Down. My favourite quote from George this evening: "Tony Blair is a c*nt". George might be approaching eighty but hasn't lost his knack for plain speaking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    George Melly, jazz legend, writer and raconteur, was born in 1926 and made his name in the late 40s and 50s, singing with Mick Mulligan's band. In the 1960s he switched careers and became one of the UK's most ubiquitous critics, writers and TV personalities. He has published many books, including his acclaimed three previous volumes of autobiography: Owning Up (1965), Rum, Bum and Concertina (1977) and Scouse Mouse (1984). In 2004 George Melly was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the BBC's Jazz Awards.

Just got back from listening to him giving a reading at Liverpool Art School from his new book Slowing Down. My favourite quote from George this evening: "Tony Blair is a c*nt". George might be approaching eighty but hasn't lost his knack for plain speaking.
    Tell it like it is..
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Default George Melly

I remember having a few old records of his, the only one I can recall was something like '???????? was a railroadin' man, yeah lord.' Tho. I didn't know he was one of us.

Thanks

I love George Melly. I seen an 'Audience with George Melly' in Liverpool about 10 years ago. You could listen to him talk and sing all night
    He's funny, witty and a great entertainer.

I've read two of his books; 'Rum Bum & Concertina' and 'Scousemouse'

He lived in the Sefton Park area - off Lark lane.

Thanks

Default George Melly

Not sure if I've posted these a while back - but here are a couple of pics of George Melly. We went to see him sometime around early 90s.

He was very entertaining with his jazz singing and story telling. A very witty and articulate man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v001.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	3416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melly001.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	3417  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast