Although I'd never feel responsible if I inspired someone to go 'urban exploring' in building sites and they got injured (in the same way I wouldn't blame those who inspired me in the event of me hurting myself), it's good to remember that whilst safety is always a key consideration for site managers, things aren't always what they seem.

Whilst exploring the apparently defunct L1 site in the Baltic Triangle, I decided to go to the bottom of a shaft to take a picture looking upwards. Climbing down the scaffolding, I wondered what the plastic sheeting was, but I took it for granted that underneath would be the concrete base of the shaft.

By chance I decided that I'd hold onto the bar and swing down rather than jump, and just as well - the sheet was floating on two storeys of flooded lift shaft with little handholds, which would be no use if I was wrapped up in plastic sheeting underwater. My feet dipped into the plastic but I realised the error before letting go. After some frantic scrabbling, cursing the weight of my bag and using every bit of upper-body strength I have, I hauled myself back onto the comparitive safety of the scaffolding.

The lesson learnt? Be very sure what you're going to land on before you jump. Not that I condone exploring building sites - in fact, it's a pretty silly thing to do (but it keeps me from getting bored) - but remember, whenever you stray from the beaten path to take some snaps, be careful!