Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pub in the Scotland Road area

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBrown View Post
    Hi Nickie,

To PhillipG: One could not just simply choose to opt to have a six day licence. That all altered in about 1903 with the first Licencing Act of the twentieth century. However, you are still correct in that each licencee could apply for one.
    I'm a bit confused by the above.
    I was only saying what Freddy O'Connor seemed to imply.
    As for the Dingle Mount pub, I don't know why it had a six-day licence, but it wouldn't have had anything to do with a market as there wasn't one nearby.

Nickie says:
    "My father believes it was on either Kirkdale Road, Scotland Road, Stanley Road or Cazeneau Street."
    So far, I don't think anything has been said to narrow it down to just the Scotland Road area.
    Nickie didn't say it was near Gerard Gardens, just that his father lived in tenements, but he does mention Pleasant View.
    There was a Pleasant View off Sellar Street in Kirkdale.
    Sellar Street ran from Foley Street to Westminster Road.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-17-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Default A Pub In Scotland Road

Hi PhillipG, Nickie and all of you trying to find the pub. Sorry PhillipG, I wasn't intending to confuse you all. However, I must say, after being on my computer for some time last night, I have given up trying to search brewery archives. It appears not many of them have kept them from the years gone by. So, I suppose the last try must be The Central Library in William Brown Street. They certainly keep records of Tetleys, Walkers, Greenhall Whitley, Threfalls and some of the old established breweries in the Pool. The only other possibility that I can think of is the Licencing Authorities. They used to sit (I think) at the old Dale Street Licencing Court. I hope Nickie is successful but rather than looking for a needle in a haystack this is just about looking for a bottle in a brewery. Ha Ha.

Luck to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    I,ve seen the Wiggin Tree on Parbold Hill, don,t think I,ve been in for a drink though. I used to go to Parbold quite regularly when I was younger, for the walk down to the stream and the views too. I took my reliant up there once, took about three hours to get up the hill and seven minutes to come back down.

Nicki, which tenements did your dad live in?
    Hi Chippie

It wasn't my dad that lived in the tenements, I must have got this confused. It was actually my uncle Mike and they lived in the bull ring. Their family name was Tremarco which I'm sure is not that common in Liverpool and you might remember the name.

Nickie x

Right I'm going to speak to my dad later and try so very hard to drag some more info out of him for everyone. I've been away for a couple of days and hence why I haven't replied to anyones posts. I do know this however...

I remember my dad telling me about the landings (which he fell from and now blames it for his bad eyesight). He refers to them as 'landings' although I see from a previous post that they may have been referred to as tenements by others. The road/ street names Pleasant View and the whatever it is Gardens really stick out in his mind because I remember him telling me that the names were a complete contradiction of what was there and it was apparently one of the worst dumps he'd ever seen (in his memory anyway) .

Like I said above, I'm going to extract some more info from his rusty old cogs later and I'll hopefully get to post it later or tomorrow. Oh and my family name is Whitcombe (sometimes spelt without the 'e' on the end). My grandmother added the 'e' to the end just after she married my grandad and being away at sea he wasn't there to correct her and it's stayed Whitcombe ever since.

Thanks guys- you're still working as hard as ever!!!!

Nickie x

Right....

My dad lived in Sellar Street from circa 1947 and those streets I've already mentioned were Pleasant View and Summer Gardens.

Sellar Street was/is tiny ( I was there a couple of weeks ago with him) and there were 3 pubs in the road called Quirks, Little Tommy's and The Grapes aka

The Dead House. He'd love to find a pic of Sellar Street if anyone happens to have one from around this time? His uncle Billy (who did the bar carving)

lived in Lambeth Road.

We don't think that Billy did the carving in any of the above pubs and I'm giving them here in the hope that they don't

confuse things further but I hope it clears at least some of the questions up.

Many thanks as always

Nickie x

Nickie
    a couple of films I uploaded to YouTube which cover the tenements of the 1930's and a short introduction I made to support a Scouse-Italian Reunion night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEg8QK23NTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2Ysd5CLCI

PhilipG

Should the title of this thread be altered to "Pub in the Kirkdale area"?

[QUOTE=The Gardens;64161]Nickie
    a couple of films I uploaded to YouTube which cover the tenements of the 1930's and a short introduction I made to support a Scouse-Italian Reunion night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEg8QK23NTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2Ysd5CLCI[/QUOTE

Fab vids! I don't know how the Tremarco's ended up in Liverpool from Italy but I'll definitely take more of an interest now. The Italian isn't in my bloodline. It was my fathers sister who married the Tremarco but the Italian community in Liverpool is something I know very little about. My dad now has the link for this thread so maybe he'll be able to help a bit more so look out for his posts.

Nickie x

Nickie, I lived near to some Tremarco's who lived in Rose Hill/Grosvenor st in the 1970s and went to the same school as me - Bishop Goss/St. Josephs - they were Danny and Terry. I believe it is their cousins who lived in the Bullring (St. Andrews Gardens)

See also these below:

www.scottiepress.org/projects/litaly.htm

Tremarco's are mentioned just past halfway down the page after the sub heading 'Terazzo, Mosaic and Marble men of Liverpool.

Photos of the Bullring can be found here:

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2598

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...?t=4203&page=5
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Ged

Brill pics and info, I'll defo pass them onto Mike. I'm not sure about his cousins but I'll ask him the next time I see him. I'm sure they're related somehow though.

Many thanks

Nickie x

Lightbulb Carlton

Does anyone know anything about a pub named the Carlton at 38b Brunswick Rd and 2 Chapel Place, so on the corner of these roads. My dad live in Chapel Place in the 1940's and thinks it may have been destroyed during the war. I would like to know more about it if anyone has any information please. My dads family was Long and his dad George and uncle Harry used to perform around the local pubs.

Karen

Default Grapes Hotel Sellar St

Hi Nickie,

Any idea why The Grapes was also called The Dead House?

It used to be run by my Great Great Grandfather back in the 1890s. He was also an Undertaker so maybe that's where the name came from unless they had no customers :-)

Any info at all on The Grapes Sellar St would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Allie

Here is a 1950 pic of it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s442WestminsterRdLpool1950 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	12249  
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234