Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub in the Scotland Road area

Quote Originally Posted by nickie1105 View Post
    Oh no! I had a private message from someone named William Brown but my pop up blocker zapped it and I don't know how to access it again. Help!!!!
    Go to the start page and click on private messages at the top right. It will take you right to it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I've managed to get it now although it wasn't the news I was hoping hear! Apparently there were zillions of pubs along Scottie Road!

Nickie x

Hi Nickie, welcome to Yoliverpool.

Default Pub in Scotland Road

Hi Nickiie

There were 'six day' pubs back in the 30's and through to the 60's. They were normally tenanted houses and sited near markets. I knew all the pubs on Scottie (coz I was the local beat copper) but can't remember a six day one. More likely to be Casneau Street as I think there was a market there.

Cheers - keep digging

mmmmmmmm, according to Gerard there was only one pub on Casneau Street and it's still standing so it's not this one! I'm going to do some more digging and try to find out approximately how old Billy was when he did the carving and just where exactly they were living at the time (I think it was also his local). Maybe that will help as I guess that it would have been the nearest to his residence so he could literally fall home . I guess I'm looking for a needle in a hey stack here but it's worth a go I guess. Billy wasn't born until 1907 so I can't look him up on the census unfortunately so I'll have to ask the family again. I'm guessing he probably did it in his late twenties to thirties so that would make it approximately 1927-1947 (a mass of searchable years I know) but I'll do my best to narrow this down.

Many thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it!

Nickie x

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by nickie1105 View Post
    mmmmmmmm, according to Gerard there was only one pub on Casneau Street and it's still standing so it's not this one! I'm going to do some more digging and try to find out approximately how old Billy was when he did the carving and just where exactly they were living at the time (I think it was also his local). Maybe that will help as I guess that it would have been the nearest to his residence so he could literally fall home . I guess I'm looking for a needle in a hey stack here but it's worth a go I guess. Billy wasn't born until 1907 so I can't look him up on the census unfortunately so I'll have to ask the family again. I'm guessing he probably did it in his late twenties to thirties so that would make it approximately 1927-1947 (a mass of searchable years I know) but I'll do my best to narrow this down.

Many thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it!

Nickie x

Hiya Nickie,Their were other Pubs in the Denbigh area but Im talking about early 70's so it could have been in this area in the Mid 60's.
    I spoke with somebody yesterday and he cant remember one being specifically called the 6 day pub in this area.
    Ive lived around here all my life..Was Born in the Brown Cow pub on Dublin St..My Mam also had The Pontack outside Gerard Gardens for 18 years and worked in the Morning Star Scotland Place "Dandy Pat's" when the Irish chap Tom Sloyne had in the in the late 50's early 60's..(Sloyne demolition)
    Me Old Mammy also worked as Barmaid in a lot of the Walkers Pubs around Scottie Rd when She was starting out in the Pub game..
    My Sister had the Farny on Kenny for a good few years and the Lorne on Brownlow Hill at the same time so you could say I know a little bit about Pubs

Apart from my mates Mam having the Denbigh my other mate's Mam had Kings "The Royal Standard" and I remember Alec and Vera having the "Box House"..and Pat Mollys (Derby Arms)..and "The Wellington".."Up the steps"
    None of these were the 6 day pub and I can remember loads more as well..
    If it was in this area then it was knocked down around 1970 or earlier.

I'll have a nose in me "Pubs of Scottie Rd" and see what I can dig up.
    Last edited by Gerard; 06-11-2007 at 11:37 AM.

In the 60s Cazneau Street ran straight up from St. Anne street, across Juvenal Street and up to Scottie and there was a pub called the Clock on the corner of Juvey and one on the corner of Horatio Street next to Lawrence Gardens so it could have been one of these even. I'll check out my Freddy O'Connor 'A pub on every corner' books.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    In the 60s Cazneau Street ran straight up from St. Anne street, across Juvenal Street and up to Scottie and there was a pub called the Clock on the corner of Juvey and one on the corner of Horatio Street next to Lawrence Gardens so it could have been one of these even. I'll check out my Freddy O'Connor 'A pub on every corner' books.

I've just had a blimp through "A pub on every Corner" Ged and "The Pubs of Scottie Rd" and about 6 other books and I cant find anything about 6 day pubs..
    I've also spoken to a few Holy Cross people and nobody remembers the "6 day pub"

PhilipG

Nickie.

The Humanities section of Central Library have large scale Ordnance Survey maps which show individual buildings and show pubs as PH.
    They're called the "50 inch" series. They have them from the 1940s and right up to date.
    If it's the 1960s you want, ask for that period.
    The actual names of the pubs will be in the street directories.

Or, as Ged says, one of the O'Connor books might just mention the six-day pubs.

If you still have no luck, I think the Library have Licensing Records, but having never seen them myself, I can't say what periods they cover.

Hiya Gerard. Sorry missed your mention that you were going to look through A pub on every corner, just re-read the thread, that's saved me a job. William Brown suggests it might have been a common name for the ones that shut on a sunday and those 4 street names that Nickie originally gave had so many pubs on that without some further clues, I don't think we'll find it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hiya Gerard. Sorry missed your mention that you were going to look through A pub on every corner, just re-read the thread, that's saved me a job. William Brown suggests it might have been a common name for the ones that shut on a sunday and those 4 street names that Nickie originally gave had so many pubs on that without some further clues, I don't think we'll find it.
    Hello Ged,I dont think so either Lad if as William Brown says there were several of them..

I was born and raised on Great Homer St, Potter St to be exact,
    My family used to drink in The Crown Vaults corner of Wrexham St and Scottie Road. That was open 7 days a week so its not that one

Lord JEEEEEEEEEEESUS- all the trouble I'm causing. Couldn't believe it when I seen how many posts there were!

You guys really are the greatest!!! I couldn't have asked for a bunch better than yourselves. I'm so truly grateful for all your help guys and hey if I never find it I've gained a great bunch of what I hope will become good friends and you certainly won't hear me complaining about that! It won't be for lack of effort either if we don't find it so don't lose any sleep over it guys. Hey it would have been great to find it but some things aren't meant to be found and I can live with that.

The hugest of thank you's to you all and if you were here now I'd smother you all in kisses (yuk I hear you say)!

Your bestest buddy
    Nickie x

chippie

Nicki, If this lot don,t find it, it was never around. Get it.

Ruddy good bunch here out to stick there nose, ooops out to help anybody in trouble

Gnomie

Someone has posted on the Scottie Press forum that it may be "The Birkenhead House"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast