Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mothaks Air Crash, Speke, July 20, 1965

Wasn't that the "Bird Man", I remember the helicopters looking for him for hours over our house in Hunts Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by M6AJJ View Post
    Wasn't that the "Bird Man", I remember the helicopters looking for him for hours over our house in Hunts Cross.
    I remember the Bird man incident, I was at that display with my dad. I think that was in 1957. I remember that he jumped alone.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I just googled it, it was May'56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Valentin
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Chris48

I think he was found dead somewhere off New Hutte Lane in Halewood. Didn't he try to fly with wooden wings and spiralled to the ground?

Chris, Apparently his wings caught the 'plane on exit. He was found in a field near Hale I believe, there was a picture in the paper the next day of his watch which had stopped on impact.
    Winston Churchill

I wasn't born until 1955, I would have been about 8 at the time. Maybe there's been a few.

Here's an advert for Mothaks moth killer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mothak Advert DSC01560R.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	7151  

Default Mothaks Plane Crash

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and have been enjoying this site for ages without plucking up the courage to post. I'm another old Garstonian and I remember the parachute accident well. It was May 1956 and we, as children, always sat on our gate in Windfield Road every year to watch the Air Show. I'm sure there was only one jumper and we waited with baited breath for the parachute to open. I think that was the last Air Show at Speke because of that accident.

Chris48

No, the airshows carried on throughout the 60s. I remember the endless lines of parked cars on Speke HallL Avenue .

Thumbs up Mothaks are disaster.

Hi,
    I think it must be a long time since you put this thread on,
    But here goes, I was on the 5/55 St,Heles 89 bus right outside the mothaks when it happened , a fellow joiner and I where on the top deck when the plane was comeing at us we thought the wheel was going to hit the bus,
    as the plane hit the building the bus took off as my mate and I shot down the stairs, and would not stop.
    We being building workers and knowing buildings thought we might of been able to help I believe a few staff stayed late and at least one was killed,
    I can still see that wheel cmeing staite for us as if it happend yesterday.

Cheer's,

Tippo.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie french View Post
    On one of our charra-bang trips to see the Blackpool lights we were on our way home and had probably well left Blackpool when a plane smashed into the building at the corner of Speke Boulevard and Woodend Ave. Does anybody here remember this incident? I seem to remember that the crew did not survive, though there were no passengers on the flight. I don't think that we knew about the crash while we were on the coach - communications being nothing like they are today - but I seem to remember everybody talking about it the next day and marveling at the fact that we could have been near the site somewhere around the time of the tragedy.
    Any more info out there on this?

Thumbs up The French Birdman.

Hi,
    I to was at Hunts X, that day with the girl who latter became my wife
    we where on the rail bridge heading up Seke Hall Rd, to my G/mothers
    when we saw the chap come out f the plane, he was the French bird man
    doing a disply as he came out of the plane the force of the wind sent
    him along the fuselage smashing him into the tail plane he came down as a
    roman candle smashing into the stubble field on Lyons Farm in
    Mackets Lane. I think there used to be a plack there at one time but its all
    built on now.

Cheer's,

Tippo.[COLOR="black
    "][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Twink View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and have been enjoying this site for ages without plucking up the courage to post. I'm another old Garstonian and I remember the parachute accident well. It was May 1956 and we, as children, always sat on our gate in Windfield Road every year to watch the Air Show. I'm sure there was only one jumper and we waited with baited breath for the parachute to open. I think that was the last Air Show at Speke because of that accident.
    Last edited by Tippo; 02-09-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Wow,
    Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been around a lot over the past year due to illness. I'm OK now though ( lots of treatment later).
    Thanks again.
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Hi All,

This is my first time on this site my daughter told me on Saturday that she had seen this discussion on Mothaks so having read what you have said I can help.

You see my sister June was one of those killed she was 23 and a superviser. The plane was from Calidonia Airlines and crash at two mins past six pm on July 20th 1965 killing the Pilot and Co pilot and my sister and the girl she was training to take over from her as she was leaving the company.

I understand that Leo is the name of the Man who was missing at the time of the crash.
    If I remember right June was not in a good mood so we were told she had sent them home in stead off doing any overtime. The care taker called in to see her and she told him she would not be long just after he left the room Leo came in and asked her to lend him a pen she said yes but this is the last one. He told us later at that moment the plane came crashing in though the roof and he had jumped into a chute that went down to the floor below he must have blacked out as no one could find him at first.

My sister was married 13 months on that day and I believe the same plane took her on her honeymoon.
    I was at my boyfriends home when he came in and asked if my sister was working I said I did,nt know he told me he had seen the plane crash we went round to a friends who work there she said June is missing and she saved our lives when she sent us home.
    That day change all my famlies lifes forever it seem's right that I am writing this now you see they have demolished the buildings there now and my dad who ID my sister cried when he thought no one was around sobed that all he could reconize was her eyes and part of her will always be on that site.
    So thank you for giving me the oppertunity to talk to you as while we remember they do not die.

I remember that night love I was only a boy. God Bless: Paddy xx
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Thank you Paddy for taking the time to read my post and your poem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast