Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mothaks Air Crash, Speke, July 20, 1965

Default Mothaks Air Crash, Speke, July 20, 1965

On one of our charra-bang trips to see the Blackpool lights we were on our way home and had probably well left Blackpool when a plane smashed into the building at the corner of Speke Boulevard and Woodend Ave. Does anybody here remember this incident? I seem to remember that the crew did not survive, though there were no passengers on the flight. I don't think that we knew about the crash while we were on the coach - communications being nothing like they are today - but I seem to remember everybody talking about it the next day and marveling at the fact that we could have been near the site somewhere around the time of the tragedy.
    Any more info out there on this?

Last edited by eddie french; 06-27-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Yes, I remember it as a child living in Hunts Cross and it has been mentioned briefly on here before, (see http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1745).

Smile mothacks plane crash

Yes, I remember this happening. I was very young (of course I was) I have mentioned it to people over the years but they think I am crazy. I must admit that I had started to believe that I had made it all up, when there you have it! someone else remembers it.

I was living in Speke at the time. I used to go to the old airport often and sit on the roof (you could in those days) Mostly it was cargo planes that came in and out.

I also recall that the crew where lost.

It was the corner of Speke Hall Road and Speke Boulevard where the Ridgeway Tea factory was, over the road from the Ford Dealership.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower1 View Post

Yes, I remember this happening. I was very young (of course I was) I have mentioned it to people over the years but they think I am crazy. I must admit that I had started to believe that I had made it all up, when there you have it! someone else remembers it.

I was living in Speke at the time. I used to go to the old airport often and sit on the roof (you could in those days) Mostly it was cargo planes that came in and out.

I also recall that the crew where lost.
    It certainly did happen Sunflower. Going up onto the observation deck at Speke was also one of my favourite pastimes. (****..I wish this spell checker would stop trying to make me spell Favourite without a U)
    I think it was Starways? airline that run the DC3's out of Speke. I also managed to play in the Plane wreck down by the Dunlop end of the field once or twice without getting caught
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Quote Originally Posted by eddie french View Post
    (****..I wish this spell checker would stop trying to make me spell Favourite without a U)
    Mine does that too, I was told it is because I use Firefox browser.
    You can go to 'tools' then options and change the language to English en or just uncheck the spell checker.
    Last edited by shytalk; 06-27-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I use firefox too. I already have the English/UK dic. installed and set as default. I think the word is creeping into our language by the back door of spell checking.
    "Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

According to my other half, that crash happened either 1965 or 1966.

My father-in-law was a bus driver at that time and he was late home from work because of the crash. The family were worrying thinking the worst that the bus might have been involved.

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Default Dunlop field in Speke

We used to go to the end of Dunlop field to collect 'reject' rubber balls, tennis balls were fabulous to get. Loved getting golf balls and unwinding the elastic, oh how small things kept us busy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    According to my other half, that crash happened either 1965 or 1966.

My father-in-law was a bus driver at that time and he was late home from work because of the crash. The family were worrying thinking the worst that the bus might have been involved.
    Remember it - just. Lived in the prefabs in Dymchurch Road originally, quite close to the crash, but had moved to Allerton by the time of the crash.

Also remember the Dunlop rubber balls mentioned on this thread. My dad worked there.

Default Mothaks air crash in Speke

Hi
    Yes, I remember this plane crash well. I was living at home and mum was ironing when we heard on the Dansette radio that there had been a crash at Speke Airport. Mum put the ironing board away and drove us down there, as my dad was working late. He was one of a very few people still left in the factory, another was a man called Ben. We went past the crowds into the factory, and he was ok though all the clocks had stopped at the time of the crash.
    It had started a fire which was out by the time we got there, but which in turn prevented Ben getting out of the store room he was in. So that was traumatic for him.
    Dad was ok, and we eventually left and I think he spoke to the families of the cleaning ladies who were killed in the crash.
    The plane crew were also killed, and the plane was Cambrian Airlines I think en route from the Isle of Man.
    Gill

Chris48

I remember it. I think it was a Vickers Viscount and 3 of the crew were killed. I wasn't aware of anyone in the factory being killed though.

Chris48

Yes I stand corrected, 2 killed in the plane and 2 killed in the factory.

Default Mothaks Air Crash

Yes I do remember this as I lived in Speke at the time. Does anyone remember an Air Display at Speke Aiport. Parachutists where jumping from a plane just above Speke Hall trails of red smoke coming from their heels. One parachute did not open. This as a very long time ago approx 1960 - 1964 and I do not know if the chap suvived.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast