Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mothaks Air Crash, Speke, July 20, 1965

So sorry to hear about your sister, June. Misty. Yes, I suppose a part of her will always be on that site.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi thank you for your reply its hard to believe it will 44yrs this July and that June would have been 67 this year.

Both of our parents and another sister have gone to join her now. How life goes on I was only 14 at the time and find it hard to belive that these things happen and life goes on I never thought people out there would remember about Mothaks but its good to know they do so thank you.
    Misty

Hi sorry so late in replying not been to well. I like you was only forteen at the time and the first time someone so close to me had died it was so hard to see my parents in so much pain. Like you I have lost my parents and another sister none of them were old Dad was 57 Mum 66 And my sister Beryl 43 and one year eleven months and twos weeks ago I lost my wonderfull husband Bill 58 life does go on but some how it all seems so unfair to lose loved ones so young. Hope you have a good life just live it none of us knows when it will end and we should rememer those we have lost that way they will never die.
    Thank you so much for reading my mail Misty

Thumbs up Mothaks Air Disaster.

Hi,
    The crash Happend aprox 6/10, in the evening I was outside the
    factory on the 89 St,Helens bus.
    Cheer's,

Tippo.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie french View Post
    On one of our charra-bang trips to see the
    Blackpool lights we were on our way home and had probably well left Blackpool when a plane smashed into the building at the corner of Speke Boulevard and Woodend Ave. Does anybody here remember this incident? I seem to remember that the crew did not survive, though there were no passengers on the flight. I don't think that we knew about the crash while we were on the coach - communications being nothing like they are today - but I seem to remember everybody talking about it the next day and marveling at the fact that we could have been near the site somewhere around the time of the tragedy.
    Any more info out there on this?

Hi I only came across this site this week and was interested to see the pposts on the Airplane crash on the Mothaks in Speke. Like Misty I have vivid memories of that evening. I was returning home from work driving along Hillfoot Avenue when I was stopped and told that a plane had crashed in to the Mothaks and I had to drive up to Hunts Cross to get home. With some urgency I arrived home and rushed in to the house to tell my Dad, he was the works Manager at the time. You will understand how I felt when my Mum told me that Dad was working late and asked me why I was rushing in the house like that.

Mum, my brother and myself went to the factory fearing the worst but were relieved to see Dad, he was working with the emergency services trying to locate the 2 unfortunate women who died.

Dad is still with us and is now approaching his 100th birthday later this year. He can still recall that evening with clarity and if he had not had left his desk to go to see some of the men who where working at the far end of the factory he also would have been a casualty. Dad carried on working at Thompson & Cappers to give the factory it’s proper name until he retired.

Misty, I told Dad about this site and your message and he does remember your sister.

Hello Roy

Many thanks for adding this valuable reminiscence to the site. Congratulations to your dad on his work to help in the aftermath of the tragedy. Please give him our best regards as he approaches his 100th birthday. Nice to know that he both survived the disaster and is still with us today.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi there,
    I'd just like to add my memories to this thread. I worked for Cambrian, and I had done the paperwork for the outbound flight to the IOM. The flight was an extra cargo flight put on to take a backlog of freight for the IOM which had built up because of the seamen's strike which was taking place at the time. The flight was delayed on the outbound service by the need to take out all the seats from the aircraft and the loading of the freight. As another poster mentioned, the aircraft crashed at 1810. I was standing near the apron waiting for the aircraft to land. I knew the pilots, who were based in Cardiff, and we were going out for a few drinks because they were returning to Cardiff the following day. I saw the aircraft crash and immediately alerted the guys in the traffic office, although the control tower had seen what had happened. The fire brigade from Banks Road station initally thought the aircraft had crashed on the airport and came inside until we stopped them and explained what had happened.
    If there is any good news in any of this, it's that the delay in departure and turnaround in the IOM meant that the flight was running more than an hour late. I would hate to think of the death toll had it been on time.
    From a personal perspective, I had lost my father just two months before, and to see two friends killed so soon afterwards was very upsetting. I was only 22 at the time. Added to this, the reason for the crash was not immediately apparent, and the Ministry of Aviation took away all the paperwork to examine it. I was very worried that something I had done wrong had caused the crash.
    Commiserations Misty. We both lost people close to us that day, and I can understand your feelings, even after all this time.

Looking through the MSF (Merseyside fire service) files in the LRO a couple of weeks ago for something else, I see they have reports/pictures on this disaster.

Really interesting reading all the posts, like an historical snapshot of South Liverpool at the time as well as a reminder of the story my mum used to tell us (and still does) about when her aunty died at the Mothaks air disaster.

My mum's aunt was called Elizabeth (Lizzy) Farrell and was doing overtime with another girl (who I presume was June (mentioned in the thread) when the accident happened. My mum had said that the other girl was young and had been pregnant when she was killed, but the thread mentioning June said nothing about her being pregnant. Maybe this was remembered wrong by my mum, or maybe it was misreported or simply chinese whispers?? Lizzy was in her early 50's when she was killed. As it was in 1965 my mum was only 16 at the time, her Dad Tom Farrell had to go and identify his sister who he was very close to which so traumatised him that his health began to deteriorate. He died the following year.

My dad (Tony Hearn) at the time was a fireman and was stationed at Banks Road Fire Station. He wasn't on duty at the time of the crash, but his friend was and told of the chaos that ensued after the accident. It was unprecedented in the city at the time, and Liverpool probably hadn't seen a disaster on this scale since the war. My dad was on duty the following day at the site and he remembers vividly one detail. He noticed a nearby building that had been clipped by the plane which had a chunk of the apex of its roof taken out by the plane. he said you could see the angle the plane had come in before it took a dive and crashed. He said the site of the crash (and the Mothaks factory) was the site which is now cleared between Speke Hall Avenue and Speke Retail Park. At the time it was theorised that the plane had turned inexplicably to an alternate course during landing which had cause it to veer away from the airfield and over to Mothaks.

My mum and dad hadn't even met at this stage, but had this tenuous link between them. They met a few months later and married in 1967. My Grandad didn't live long enough to see them married. The Mothaks air disaster broke his heart. RIP Lizzy and the others who died.

I remember both the plane crash and also the air display incident. I was at the air show and actually saw him fall and his parachute did not open. He landed on the field in front of the old terminal building. At the time of the Mothaks crash I was living on Blacklock Hall Road and remember running down across a field which was diagonally opposite to the factory and seeing the plume of black smoke. I did not think it was in 1965 but as I pull my memory strings it probably was. Certainly caught my mind to think on the past. Take care guys.

My oldest bro was at the bird man airshow tragedy. My dad took him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123