1873 - Andrew Barclay Walker (1824–1893), a Liverpool brewer and alderman, offered to present a gallery to Liverpool to commemorate his term as Mayor. Walker was not noted as patron or collector of art. He did, however, erect public houses of high architectural standards and gave generously to many good causes. This may partly have been to improve the public image of brewing and alcohol at a time when the temperance movement was popular. Walker donated £20,000 towards the new gallery.
1884 - A new extension to the Walker Art Gallery was opened. Andrew Barclay Walker paid the entire cost of £11,500.