Thread: Liverpool water and Capel Celyn

Default Liverpool water and Capel Celyn

Browsing for some info on the lakes and waters of north Wales, I came across the following Youtubes.

Now I was sort of vaguely aware of this lost village but didn't know what actually happened. I'm ashamed to say I was ignorant to the sad story of this village. We were never told anything about this when I was at school even though we were taught about our water coming from Wales. I don't recall ever learning anything about it.
    I'm not sure when I first became aware of this lost village - maybe I saw something on telly or the internet, but even then it must have somehow passed me by.

I didn't know these people had to dig up their dead

If you have time take a look and have a listen - it's a shocking and sad story and I'm afraid to say some anti-Liverpool comments follow the films.

So Sad.

Here is a song from a Manic Street Preachers Album about this very incident.

'Ready for Drowning'

That's so sad. I have to admit I knew a village had been destroyed to build a lake to allow Liverpool water, but I didn't realise there had been so much opposition. It must have been terrible for the residents.

This is the usual thing when building dams or resevoirs.
    It happened in Cumbria when Manchester and various noth west places needed more water.
    A law was passed in 1929 allowing them to build a dam to increase the size of Haweswater.
    The villages of Marsdale and Measand were flooded in 1935. The bodies were exhumed from Marsdale church and taken to Shap for reburial. The church was demolished and some of the stone was used in the construction of the dam.
    If we have a good dry summer the field walls of the farms and the outline of the church become uncovered and can be seen again
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

This was just talked about on the One Show.

Love North Wales and reading up on places there(the road signs get on my nerves trying to pronounce and remember the Welsh when driving though ). Not into the Caravan and seaside culture but love driving to villages and the country side there, absolute beauty!

No doubt a shame what happened to Capel Celyn.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

watched that myself, was good to see it wasn't forgotten, and very sad to hear the former villagers reminisce their days beforehand.