Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: well known Families

I know it's a bit late but there was a Burtons in Liscard during the sixties. Virtually opposite Woolies in Liscard road. I bought a suit there once. It is still there under the same name although the fashions have changed a bit.

Blog Entries

Default Irwins

I have very fond memories of Irwins the grocers,they had shops all over Liverpool. Quite grand in design,this was before the supermarket age and the counters were great wooden topped affairs with goods stored in the shelf units behind the counter.Flitches of smoked bacon hung from the ceiling and Crawfords and Jacobs biscuits were in rows of glass topped tin boxes on the customers side of the counter. There was always a chair or two for customers to sit on whilst their order was made, the manager and his male staff had a pencil behind their ear to write out your grocery list and do the totalling.I remember that the female staff wore little hats, so very 1930's. The aroma was unique ,being a mixture of spices ,cheeses,smoked bacon and biscuits. I can think of nowhere today that you smell that aroma ,it was made up of all the things that were from our Empire. When I was 15 ,the manager of the Irwins in Garston tried to persuade me to leave the Butchers and work for him....................the temptation of being 2nd Mate on a bacon slicer was very great. I went to sea instead.
    BrianD

There is a shop on Green Lane (L13) that has the name 'Irwin' in the brickwork.
    It is Accomplished

Default Irwin

Corner of Romer Road & Kensington
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-27-2008 at 11:28 AM.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    I have very fond memories of Irwins the grocers,they had shops all over Liverpool. Quite grand in design,this was before the supermarket age and the counters were great wooden topped affairs with goods stored in the shelf units behind the counter.Flitches of smoked bacon hung from the ceiling and Crawfords and Jacobs biscuits were in rows of glass topped tin boxes on the customers side of the counter. There was always a chair or two for customers to sit on whilst their order was made, the manager and his male staff had a pencil behind their ear to write out your grocery list and do the totalling.I remember that the female staff wore little hats, so very 1930's. The aroma was unique ,being a mixture of spices ,cheeses,smoked bacon and biscuits. I can think of nowhere today that you smell that aroma ,it was made up of all the things that were from our Empire. When I was 15 ,the manager of the Irwins in Garston tried to persuade me to leave the Butchers and work for him....................the temptation of being 2nd Mate on a bacon slicer was very great. I went to sea instead.
    BrianD
    "Nice memories Brian" We may have met-up if you had taken the job in Irwins! In late 1958 I drove their delivery van for the south Liverpool shops Garston was my main one! manager was a Mr Bill Gorman A very 'typical' grocery manager!! he would, as you say, offer stools to customers and then write out their grocery lists for them! I serviced customers as far afield as Hale, Halewood, Aigburth,Hunts Cross, from that shop, even the couple that lived in Hale Lighthouse! Other shops I covered were in Prescot Rd, Picton Rd, Aigburth Rd,& Long Lane Garston. Wages were 'poor' to say the least, so did'nt stay there too long! But as you say, 'They were good memories' of a bygone age!! Cheers. and I still follow your exploits!!! any more from the 'Tennies'?

Default irwins

Chippie and Lindylou, you may remember there was an Irwins next to the library next to Holy Trinity church on Breck Road.

I don't remember the one by the library. I do remember the Irwins on the corner of Breck rd/Lowerbreck - where the road curves round. When I was a kid (1960s) I'd go there with my mum to order the weeks shopping which would then be delivered to your door by the 'order boy'. I remember some of the staff that worked behind the counter.

There was another smaller Irwins on Townsend lane too.

Default Famous Families

Green Lane, Stoneycroft. Now F&D Smith.
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-27-2008 at 11:28 AM.
    It is Accomplished

Default Irwins

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    There were two Irwins shops in Anfield; one on the bend of Lower Breck rd/Breck rd, and there was one on Townsend lane. There may have been one on Priory rd but I'm not certain.
    There was an Irwins in Breck Road, Everton, on the small stretch between Belmont Road and Woodville Terrace, in the late 50s. My mum used to sit me, aged about 4, on the counter whilst she was getting her groceries - no self-service in those days!

chippie

Isn,t it funny how the Irwin name comes up in these shop stories. I was interested in the name when I found out one half of my family.s name was Irwin, but not the same family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12