Thread: Train wheels between Bronte St and Russell St.

Default Train wheels between Bronte St and Russell St.

There a few train wheels above the railway line at this location. They are dedicated to Henry Booth, George Stephenson, William Baker and John Ramsbottom.
    They are located here:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,237.88,,0,5

Viewed the wheels today - they are set into a paved area, half of each wheel is above ground, the other half presumably is below the surface. The wheels are painted with a black gloss, with the inscriptions,on one side, around the wheel in white.
    They are rather smaller than I had anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    There a few train wheels above the railway line at this location. They are dedicated to Henry Booth, George Stephenson, William Baker and John Ramsbottom.
    They are located here:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,237.88,,0,5
    I don't see the train wheels on that Google view. Am I doing something wrong?

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I don't see the train wheels on that Google view. Am I doing something wrong?

C
    No Chris, I can't see them either

but I thanked Marky for the post anyway because I didn't know about them and I'll look out for them next time I go that way.

I was waiting for better weather to get a wide-view of them. I posted the Streetview link as some people may not know where they are located. The area has only just been opened-up to the general public, after being fenced-in.
    Below is an example, Henry Booth:

Nice photo, Marky. The `L & M R` is presumably the `Liverpool & Manchester Railway`. The display can be reached by going up Copperas Hill as far as the junction with Seymour Street and Russell Street, turn right on Russell Street and the paved area is on your left. If you stand on the top rail of the wooden bench seat on the other side of Russell Street you can look over the bridge parapet onto the lines leading into Lime Street station, affording a view of standing trains and the back of the double-arched roof. Be careful, though,also the bench looks a bit rotten, but it did take the weight of a pal and I on Monday!