Thread: Who Voted For Them

Default Who Voted For Them

Liverpool Council to cut 1,500 jobs
    Yahoo! UK & Ireland News - Made Popular: 4 hours ago LONDON (Reuters) - Liverpool City Council will cut around 1,500 jobs after the government reduced its funding by 100 million pounds, local

Budget & Economy
    London 2012 Olympic Games
    Financial Crisis
    Phone Tapping Royal Family Education Motoring & Transport Crime House Prices Employment Weather Drugs & Drug Law <

Email StoryPrint StoryLiverpool City Council will cut around 1,500 jobs after the government reduced its funding by 100 million pounds, local politicians said on Thursday. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos
    One of the Mersey ferries crosses the river in front of Liverpool's famous …More
    Enlarge photo .Related content
    Liverpool Council to cut 1,500 jobs
    Council boss cleared of rape charge
    Drivers keen to avoid parking fines
    Related Hot Topic: Local Government
    Have your say: Local Government
    The council is the latest local authority to reveal job cuts as the coalition scales back grants to help tackle a record budget deficit.

The public sector is expected to be hit hard by government austerity measures and the GMB union says 140,000 jobs are at risk at councils across Britain.

The government says councils can maintain essential services by making savings in back-office administration but Liverpool council deputy leader Paul Brant said reductions in key services could not be avoided.

Brant said a 93 million pound gap in the authority's budget next year meant it would have to cut 1,500 jobs, putting services such as adult social care at risk.

"Our grant settlement from the government (is) significantly slashing the amount of support we can get ... The scale of this is so huge that frontline services will be affected," he told BBC television.

Liverpool council leader Joe Anderson said there would inevitably be cutbacks in children's centres, libraries, and leisure centres.

Brant said the way the government had allocated grant cuts meant the poorest regions were hit hardest.

"Liverpool is ranked by the government itself as the most deprived council in the country and yet we have received the maximum amount of cut," he said.

The council says it needs to find 141 million pounds of savings over the next two years, after the government cut 100 million of grants for the same period.

The government denied its funding allocations were unfair and that, per head, Liverpool was receiving over six times more grant than a prosperous area such as Wokingham in Berkshire.

"If councils share back-office services, join forces to procure, cut out the non-jobs and root out the over-spends then they can protect frontline services," said a spokesman at the Department for Communities and Local Government.

Mossy
    You Can Lead a Horse To Water But You Cant Make Him Drink

These cuts are a disgrace. Staffing has already been cut to the bone - but hey lets shut all the libraries and leisure services, cos we don't need them.

Regardless of Council Tax revenue, 80% of the city's income comes from central government, and this has been reduced by something like 22%. Liverpool is ranked, by the government's own figures, as the most deprived authority in the country, yet we have suffered the biggest cuts. If the cuts had been an average of the rest of counry then Liverpool would have been £26 million pounds better off!!!

These cuts are going to impact on front line services, which mean the vulnerable (old people/disabled people/children) could suffer. It's only a matter of time before the vulnerable are placed at a high risk of harm, because whatever we think of social workers, they do a good job if they are allowed to do it properly.

Cameron and Clegg should hang their heads in shame.

(..........and no I'm not a council employee - just a Scouser who is concerned by these savage cuts.)

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut.

After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I cannot accept money from you , I'm doing community service this week.'

The florist was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber went to open his shop the next morning,

there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop came in for a haircut, and when he tried to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week.'

The cop was happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Then an MP came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied,

'I can not accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.'

The MP was very happy and left the shop..

The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen MP’s lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.

POLITICIANS AND NAPPIES NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND

FOR THE SAME REASON!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.