Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did we smell in the 60's?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    This is true,because when we wash we shed the dead surface skin...hence the scum around the where the waters edge has been on the bath.
    But only if you leave it for a few months!

I am really enjoying this thread! I have often said we must have really smelled in the 60's but we must have all smelled the same. I can remember wanting a bath more than the "once a week" and asking for the emersion heater to be switched on so I could have a bath mid-week. As my mum had a limited income and the electricity cost a lot I suppose I was lucky to be allowed to do this. Most of the time it was boil a kettle and have a "good wash down" in the bathroom! I too can remember the odd smelly girl in school who would be taken to one side where this matter would be pointed out- glad that was never me! When you think about it smoking was never frowned upon so if you were in a small living room in a small house (which we were) with all of the adults smoking our clothes must have smelled as well. All I can say is we are very lucky now with our centrally heated houses and our hot water I personally could not do without my showers!

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    But only if you leave it for a few months!
    Not at all Steve. Even if you shower twice a day the water has skin and dirt.................yukky, Americans usually take a quick shower before a bath to clean off or after so there is no soap residue on their skin (those who take baths)

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Smith View Post
    I am really enjoying this thread! I have often said we must have really smelled in the 60's but we must have all smelled the same. I can remember wanting a bath more than the "once a week" and asking for the emersion heater to be switched on so I could have a bath mid-week. As my mum had a limited income and the electricity cost a lot I suppose I was lucky to be allowed to do this. Most of the time it was boil a kettle and have a "good wash down" in the bathroom! I too can remember the odd smelly girl in school who would be taken to one side where this matter would be pointed out- glad that was never me! When you think about it smoking was never frowned upon so if you were in a small living room in a small house (which we were) with all of the adults smoking our clothes must have smelled as well. All I can say is we are very lucky now with our centrally heated houses and our hot water I personally could not do without my showers!
    I sometimes think about that. I had bronchitis every single year of my childhood and teens. Closed in a small room with a coal fire and two smoking parents!!! We must have smelled of smoke. Now if anyone comes into a room or onto a bus who has had a cigarette you can smell it all over the room, they STINK!! As almost everyone smoked we must have been used to it and all smelled the same! I remember smoking on airplanes!!!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Is some of that due to the efficiency of American showers?

The older Liiverpool houses that are gravity fed from a tank in the loft just don't have the water pressure to have a good shower in the upstairs bathroom - and the limited supply of hot water doesn't help.

Are the newer Liverpool houses still gravity fed, or is the water system pressurized?

Having a good shower system definitely makes you want to be cleaner...
    Our water is from the rising mains. We got rid of the tank in the loft 20 years ago

We have a lovely big bath (that two can fit in .... I'm showing off now ! ha,ha ) and also a walk in shower. Central heating so we have hot water at all times. I think most people do now.

With our plummed-in washing machines and tumble dryers and being able to wash our clothes more or less any time that we want to we must all smell a bit sweeter than we did. I can remember my mum going to the wash house once a week - hard luck if you wanted anything washing between visits! Also we didnt have many changes of school uniform like my grand children do - clean on every day it was far too expensive when we were at school. (Horn Brothers once a year for school uniform - cost a fortune!)

Horne Brothers....!!! That was for the "creme de la creme"! T.J.'s for me,and that was pushin' it!

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Our water is from the rising mains. We got rid of the tank in the loft 20 years ago

We have a lovely big bath (that two can fit in .... I'm showing off now ! ha,ha ) and also a walk in shower. Central heating so we have hot water at all times. I think most people do now.
    My mothers house doesn't have the pressure yet, though the old immmersion heater went a long time ago.

My sisters fancy big house got a bit more pressure elevating their tank a few feet in the loft, but it's still not a "real" shower in their new bathroom...

I'm glad the newer houses moved to a pressurized system, I presume at 40 to 50 psi... Makes a shower much more workable.

I first came here in 1970 so that was when my visitors were shocked you could shower at any time, full blast shower that almost knocked you over, In that apartment we had a laundry room on every floor but the little building I have lived in all these years has not and I do not have room as my kitchen is TINY so I send everything out or when I have time I go to the laundromat. Seems so primitive but I would not give up my little apartment by Central Park for anything. Being able to be in the sweet smelling park in seconds is worth it.

A bath to me seems like you are just lying in your own filth - as already been mentioned, the tide mark says it all. Shower every time and let the dirt and dead skin cells run off you.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Yes it was Horne Brothers - that was in the days of exclusive school uniform not to be bought anywhere else but the designated school suppliers. As I said mum was on a limited income she was a widow with four kids, I passed the 11+ to go to New Heys I can remember the clothing grant that I got only paid for the blazer! All of the family rallied to help pay for the uniform I needed and mum could sew and knit so the gymslip was home made ( special material only) and the cardi was hand knitted. I can remember everyone who needed summer dresses being mesured by someone from the shop coming into school. Mum made mine (again special material only)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    A bath to me seems like you are just lying in your own filth - as already been mentioned, the tide mark says it all. Shower every time and let the dirt and dead skin cells run off you.
    Well filth may be too strong a word but I changed to showers in 1970 when the Americans kept saying we sat in out own dirty water!!!

I alternate between the two but prefer a bath to a shower. Showers are ok, but I like to soak in scenty bubbles with a book.

.. and you can get your feet nice and clean soaking in the bath - in the shower you have to hop on one foot trying to scrub the soles of your feet - ha,ha, they don't get as clean as when you soak them in the bath.

My next door neighbour has only got a shower room and no bath ( that's how it was when she moved into the house) - she says she misses a bath and would love a good relaxing soak after a hard days work.

The other thing is, that there is nothing like a lovely warm bath if you are feeling not well or under the weather, tired or aching. It works for me anyway. I always get a nice bath if I'm not feeling 100%
    You feel like a human again after a bath

in the shower you have to hop on one foot trying to scrub the soles of your feet - ha,ha, they don't get as clean as when you soak them in the bath.
    Isn't your shower big enough for a lift up wall seat?makes allthe difference in scrubbing thy feet.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Isn't your shower big enough for a lift up wall seat?makes allthe difference in scrubbing thy feet.
    Probably. It's an average size cubical.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast