Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we smell in the 60's?

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I can't believe we only washed our hair once a week!!! I don't remember anyone smelling though. The Cavern smelled so strongly of disinfectant we all probably smelled of that for hours after we left!!

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    .. and Cedarwood http://www.richgifts.co.za/Cedarwood...wood1_main.htm
    My dad used to use it.

How about the love wood that Philip told Rigsby about in Rising damp.?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Rising Damp was great

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I can't believe we only washed our hair once a week!!! I don't remember anyone smelling though. The Cavern smelled so strongly of disinfectant we all probably smelled of that for hours after we left!!
    A lot of people still get their hair washed once a week only - don't mean the men as I know they wash their hair under the shower more often - but a lot of ladies, specially the older ones, don't blow dry their hair every day like the younger ones. They tend to have a weekly hairdressers appointment for a wash and blow or wash and set, and stick rigidly to that routine - and no moisture shall go near thy bonce inbetween !

Blog Entries

Oh yes there were more than a few pongers.
    I remember in the 40's getting on the tram & sitting next to someone, especially on a wet day. Some of them smelled like a wet dog.
    When Old Spice arrived in the 50's it was mainly the Americans who used it. They could be detected a mile away.
    We were in Barcelona airport when a Russian skiing team was returning home. you could cut the air with a knife. I din't think they had heard of having a bath weekly or even monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    How about the love wood that Philip told Rigsby about in Rising damp.?
    Ha,ha, ye ancient wardrobe aphrodisiac!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoolan View Post
    Oh yes there were more than a few pongers.
    I remember in the 40's getting on the tram & sitting next to someone, especially on a wet day. Some of the smelled like a wet dog.
    When Old Spice arrived in the 50's it was mainly the Americans who used it. The could be detected a mile away.
    We were in Barcelona airport when a Russian skiing team was returning home. you could cut the air with a knife. I din't think they had heard of having a bath weekly or even monthly.
    .. and there's still a few pongers around !! It's a mixture of stale clothes and poor personal hygiene.

No, growing up in the 60's, I don't remember anyone particularly smelling. [IMG]images/smilies/smile.png[/IMG]

We had a nice modern bathroom in our house, but still it was bath night once a week - usually on a Sunday ready for school next day. We had a good wash down every night.

You would come across the occasional pongy person, but nothing much different from today.

This thread,has just reminded me of the lads who used to put margarine on their hair, and the odd time,in hot weather.....seeing it trickle down their necks,in class!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    This thread,has just reminded me of the lads who used to put margarine on their hair, and the odd time,in hot weather.....seeing it trickle down their necks,in class!
    ugh!

that calls for a Dame Edna look of disgust !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84046433.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	18462  

And there is always an applicable university study....

In this case, it seems like girls might have been healthier, but smellier, back then...

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archiv...-hurting-girls

No mention of smelly boys though.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Rising Damp was great

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

A lot of people still get their hair washed once a week only - don't mean the men as I know they wash their hair under the shower more often - but a lot of ladies, specially the older ones, don't blow dry their hair every day like the younger ones. They tend to have a weekly hairdressers appointment for a wash and blow or wash and set, and stick rigidly to that routine - and no moisture shall go near thy bonce inbetween !
    Still????? I remember when I first came here, we washed our hair every single day. I had almost waist length hair so I loved it. I always felt when you were at a party or resturant/pub that you could smell the cigarette smoke in your hair so I took to the American way at once. I still wash it almost every day, you don't feel properly showered unless you do. We used to wash it twice a day if it was hot and you had been out all day, you would wash it again before you went out for the evening

A lot of ladies can't style their own hair and rely on a weekly hairdressing appointment. They usually have the style anchored in place - inmoveable - with styling mouse/gel whatever, and plenty of firm hold spray -- consequently no water goes near that head until next appointment

Younger girls with straight hair or low maintenance styles tend to wash their hair more often and blow dry it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Still????? I remember when I first came here, we washed our hair every single day. I had almost waist length hair so I loved it. I always felt when you were at a party or resturant/pub that you could smell the cigarette smoke in your hair so I took to the American way at once. I still wash it almost every day, you don't feel properly showered unless you do. We used to wash it twice a day if it was hot and you had been out all day, you would wash it again before you went out for the evening
    Is some of that due to the efficiency of American showers?

The older Liiverpool houses that are gravity fed from a tank in the loft just don't have the water pressure to have a good shower in the upstairs bathroom - and the limited supply of hot water doesn't help.

Are the newer Liverpool houses still gravity fed, or is the water system pressurized?

Having a good shower system definitely makes you want to be cleaner...

I remember when I first got my own apartment, or rather shared with another Brit (public school, parents had connections in the Brit Embassy here) When people visited from the UK they would ask if we had enough hot water for them to take a shower and we told them water is hot day and night without pause! Once they got used to four people being able to shower (no, not together) in the am then again in the afternoon if it was really hot out AND my roommate always took a bath before bed even at 3am they too hopped in whenever they wanted.

I stopped taking baths so much as the Americans kept saying 'You are sitting in your own dirty water' which put me off so I showered but still take the odd evening bath.

Americans kept saying 'You are sitting in your own dirty water'
    This is true,because when we wash we shed the dead surface skin...hence the scum around the where the waters edge has been on the bath.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast