Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles Dickens' Links to Liverpool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Charles Dickens' Links to Liverpool

Charles Dickens

1812/1870 Colin's Bridewell, Campbell Street, off Duke Street, Liverpool L1

He was born in Landport and moved with the family to London. At the age of 12 years old he was put to work in a blanking factory to assist the family income as his father was imprisoned in the Marshalsea for debt.

Next, from 1824 until 1827 Dickens studied at Wellington House Academy, London. From 1827 to 1828 he was a law office clerk, and then worked as a shorthand reporter at Doctor's Commons. In the 1840s Dickens founded Master Humphrey's Cloak and edited the London Daily News. Dickens's relationship with Maria Beadnell, the daughter of a banker, lasted for four years. Afterwards, he married the daughter of his friend George Hogarth, Catherine Hogart in 1836.

When Catherine's sisters, Georgiana, moved in with the Dickenses, he fell in love with her. Even though, Dickens had 10 children with Catherine, they were separated in 1858. Additionally, Dickens also had a long-lasting relation with the actress Ellen Ternan, whom he had met by the late 1850s.

From the 1840s Dickens spent much time traveling and campaigning against many of the social evils of his time. In addition he gave talks and reading, wrote pamphlets, plays, and letters. In 1844 to 1845 he lived in Italy, Switzerland and Paris. From 1858 to 1868, he gave lecturing tours in Britain and the United States. Afterwards, he moved to Gadshill Place, near Rochester, Kent. He died there on June 9, 1870.

Charles Dickens made numerous visits to Liverpool, specially from 1842/1869 when he read extracts from his novels often to large audiences in St. George's Hall and at former Masque Theatre in Duke Street. He salied to America from Liverpool on at least two occasions in 1860 was sworn in as a special constable in the Liverpool Police Force to aid his research in writing The Uncommercial Traveller. The time spent in Liverpool must have been very dear to him for he wrote Liverpool lies in my heart next only to London.

Maybe, he was not born in Liverpool and never lived here, but he spent part of his time in Pool in. I am thinking that he was a important person here with his books, his culture, and his audiences in St. George Hall and Masque Theatre.

PhilipG

There wasn't a Masque Theatre in Liverpool.

I'm interested in the reference to Colin's Bridewell.
    Is there a connection with the Bridewell and Charles Dickens?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

I am reading a book called PLAQUE BY PLAQUE, of John B. Fidler. Lets me somes minutes and I am looking for more info.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    I am reading a book called PLAQUE BY PLAQUE, of John B. Fidler. Lets me somes minutes and I am looking for more info.
    I've just found this, Marie.
    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=25

Only I can found it in google, I am sorry.

Colin's Bridewell is a former Victorian police station where Charles Dickens was once a Special Constable.

PhilipG

90 Seel Street (the site of the Masque) was a Police Station in the 1930s.

90 Seel Street (the site of the Masque) was a Police Station in the 1930s.
    But Dickens died in 1870. Does the Police Station built in 1930?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    But Dickens died in 1870. Does the Police Station built in 1930?
    I don't know when it was built, but it was a police station in 1936, and might have been a police station when Dickens was said to have given a reading there.
    Perhaps it was called the Masque quite recently because of its connection with Dickens.
    I'm not an expert on Charles Dickens, but I do know there never was a Masque Theatre in Liverpool.

MarkA

Page 3 of the following link...http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-32267.pdf...shows that the station Dickens served as a policeman was at the junction of Argyle Street/York Street/Lydia Ann Street.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Page 3 of the following link...http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-32267.pdf...shows that the station Dickens served as a policeman was at the junction of Argyle Street/York Street/Lydia Ann Street.
    Colin's Bridewell is on Campbell Street. As I mentioned above, the station Dickens served is marked on page 3 (No.35) of the site that's linked.
    Last edited by MarkA; 05-28-2007 at 05:33 PM.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Colin's Bridewell is on Campbell Street. As I mentioned above, the station Dickens served is marked on page 3 (No.35) of the site that's linked.
    I've just had to download Adobe to see that map.
    Personally, I think they've put the number on the wrong corner.
    Campbell Street is only on the next corner, and there wouldn't have been two Police Stations so close together.
    Besides, it would only have been some sort of honourary position for Dickens.

Thanx all for look for info

For immediate release Thursday, June 7 2007

In the footsteps of Dickens

Armistead Maupin to visit Liverpool’s St George’s Hall

Renowned author will appear as part of Homotopia festival

Tickets on sale now

BRITAIN'S favourite gay author is set to make a rare appearance at St George’s Hall.

Armistead Maupin – who last year was voted the country’s most popular author in the Big Gay Read – will read from his new novel, ‘Michael Tolliver Lives’, and talk about his life and work, at a special event organised by Liverpool’s gay arts festival, Homotopia, on July 4.

Often compared to Charles Dickens, Maupin will appear in the newly refurbished Small Concert Room – the same venue where Dickens took part in the famed ‘Penny Readings’ in the mid-nineteenth century.

His Liverpool appearance is the first date in a national tour, and the only major event outside London. Best known for his series ‘Tales of the City’, which was adapted for television, Maupin is widely regarded as one of America’s greatest living gay writers.

Gary Everett, Homotopia Festival Director, said: “I am thrilled that such a high profile author has agreed to attend this special one-off event and give a reading at the festival.

“Armistead Maupin has also kindly agreed to attend several community events in the day, before taking part in what promises to be a glittering occasion in the grand surroundings of the Small Concert Room.”

Amongst the community projects that Maupin will visit while he is in Liverpool is the Armistead Centre – the gay health project that was named in his honour.

Homotopia, which is supported by the Liverpool Culture Company, celebrates its fourth birthday in 2007. Although it is responsible for events throughout the year, the main focus of the programme is in November. The festival celebrated a massively successful year in 2006, with audiences of more than 6,500 attending a wide selection of events in genres including theatre, film, art, and heritage.

Councillor Warren Bradley, Leader of Liverpool city council, said: “Homotopia is a fantastic example of a homegrown arts festival that has developed into a major event on Liverpool’s cultural calendar.

“It’s a great reflection of the vibrancy of the city’s arts sector.”

Tickets for the Armistead Maupin event are on sale now, priced at £6 each, available from Unity Theatre, (0151) 709 4988; or News From Nowhere, (0151) 708 7270. Doors open at 6pm, the event begins at 7pm.

ENDS

Notes to Editors:

Homotopia 2007 takes place from November 1 to 18. For more information visit www.homotopia.net

Armistead Maupin was born in Washington DC in 1944, but was brought up in North Carolina. A graduate of the University of North Carolina, he served as a naval officer in Vietnam before moving to California in 1971 as reporter for the Associated Press. In 1976 he launched his daily newspaper serial Tales of the City, in the San Francisco Chronicle. The first fiction to appear in an American daily for decades, Tales grew into an international sensation when compiled and rewritten as novels. Maupin's six volume series are now multi-million copy bestsellers published around the world. In 2006, Tales of the City won the coveted UK's Big Gay Read (the UK's favourite gay/lesbian novel) beating Sarah Waters, Alan Hollinghurst, Jeanette Winterson and Annie Proulx amongst others. www.armisteadmaupin.com.

St George’s Hall was re-opened on April 23 2007 (St George’s Day) following a £23m, five-year renovation programme, which included the restoration of the Small Concert Room.

Liverpool Culture Company is delivering Liverpool’s 800th anniversary celebrations in 2007 and co-ordinating the 2008 European Capital of Culture programme.

A high resolution image of Armistead Maupin is available on request.

For more information, please contact Helen Johnson, on (0151) 233 4032 or 07725 150 738.

For the latest news from Liverpool, European Capital of Culture 2008, visit www.liverpool.gov.uk or www.liverpool08.com.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default bridewell

I thought all big police stations were called bridewells, if not what makes a police station a police station.and a bridewell a bridewell?the cop shop in dale street.(Where one pays ones fines)is I think a briewell.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
    I thought all big police stations were called bridewells, if not what makes a police station a police station.and a bridewell a bridewell?the cop shop in dale street.(Where one pays ones fines)is I think a briewell.
    Bridewell means prison (also reformatory), so, presumably police stations with cells were called Bridewells.
    Both the Everton and Wavertree lock-ups were Bridewells, but not police stations.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-28-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast