Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Worst Buildings

Thumbs down Liverpool's Worst Buildings

Use this thread to name the buildings that you think are among Liverpool's worst, both present and future, and explain why. (pics would be great)

I'm going to start with the student accomodation in the grounds of the Anglican Cathedral. Not only do they look cheap and tatty, but they've been built on what should be a public open space for people to relax and admire the cathedral. Some people may think differently, but they are a real pet hate of mine and I would have them demolished tomorrow if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I'm going to start with the student accomodation in the grounds of the Anglican Cathedral.
    The accommodation itself is pretty shoddy too, I think they may have been refurbished just recently, but I remember a couple of years ago that they were vile.

The one which gets me is the tower block (offices I presume) right at the front of lime street, I'm guessing it will be demolished soon enough, but every-time I come back to Lime Street Station, I hate seeing it still standing.

The other one I really dislike is the terrible 60'/70s JMU social Science building on Clarence Street, which I'm equally hopeful will have been flawed by the time I'm back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF View Post
    The accommodation itself is pretty shoddy too, I think they may have been refurbished just recently, but I remember a couple of years ago that they were vile.

The one which gets me is the tower block (offices I presume) right at the front of lime street, I'm guessing it will be demolished soon enough, but every-time I come back to Lime Street Station, I hate seeing it still standing.

The other one I really dislike is the terrible 60'/70s JMU social Science building on Clarence Street, which I'm equally hopeful will have been flawed by the time I'm back in town.
    Agreed! Thankfully, Concourse tower is due to be demolished toward the end of this year. Not sure about the JMU building though.

Gerard

Welcome to the group Stuart
    What an eysore..couldn't agree more Stuart..

And it gets no better close up.

The royal mail building in the background of the first pic is another building I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    The royal mail building in the background of the first pic is another building I can't stand.
    Yes Coppras Hill sorting office

I can't stand the new building which has replaced a pub on Williamson Square. If my memory serves me well it was called The Shakespeare. I am not sure what use the building was designed for but it was still being offered to let when I last passed. I thought this location was a Conservation Area but the building is totally out of keeping. Does anyone have any before and after shots? I remember the pub well from waiting at the bus stop outside for the tunnel bus before Queens Sq was developed.

Munchkim

It's just the smell from it more than anything.

Ok, I know, only jesting folks.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anfield_aerial_view.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	3141  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I don't like the new place on the corner of Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant, opposite the Guild of Students and the Victoria Building. Not sure of its name, not an awful place, but they knocked down some lovely old buildings to put it there, and I think it's too big for its location next to the cathedral

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I don't like the new place on the corner of Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant, opposite the Guild of Students and the Victoria Building. Not sure of its name, not an awful place, but they knocked down some lovely old buildings to put it there, and I think it's too big for its location next to the cathedral
    What they knocked down were the last remaining buildings of the Workhouse!
    Something that should have been kept and put on the tourist route.
    Let's hope the previous owners (the Metropolitan Cathedral) got a good price for the site.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-27-2007 at 04:42 PM.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    What they knocked down were the last remaining buildings of the Workhouse!
    Something that should have been kept and put on the tourist route.
    Let's hope the previous owners (the Metropolitan Cathedral) got a good price for the site.
    Mind you saying that, they demolished lots of Williamson Tunnels when they were found before they put the foundations in for the RC Cathedral - that was also a crime.

Unfortunately I never got inside the old workhouse buildings, but somewhere is an undeveloped roll of 35mm with some external shots on it.

When they demolished it, a small brick arch tunnel was exposed. Contrary to a few rumours I overheard, this was nothing more than the remains of part of the cellars. I investigated it one night, but at the time wasn't taking a camera on my explores.

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    It's called The Foundation Building, the Uni bought it outright from the developers as soon as it was finished.It does obscure the view of the Victoria clock-tower in one direction and the Cathedral in the other.

Concourse House is definitely one of the worst buildings in Liverpool; although it is likely that it will soon be gone.

The old Winey at Moorfields is an eyesore and personally, I think that the 'art work' that is going on there is a joke.

One of my favourites is the ABC / Forum opposite Concourse House. I really hope that it is put to good use once again. There is currently work going on at the site, but I don't know what is happening.

Libertarian

Hope not to appear negative about Liverpool's buildings because we have some of the best architecture in Britain, but Queen Square is a terrible missed opportunity. The buildings looking on to Williamson square are so ugly.

Granted they are better than what was there before, but Queen Square looks like lego land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast