Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Worst Buildings

And while we're at it, get rid of St John's precinct too

Obviously in a minority of one here but I don't mind Concourse house and think it should have been refurbed whilst allowing Chieften to build their tower behind rather than knocking it back. The problem is the concourse itself where the shops obscure the front of the station.

One building I really hate despite it being a great asset to the city centre is the new(late 90's) Pleasant street school on Clarence street which looks like a suburban bungalow that has been badly extended and built on. This was a truly wasted opportunity to build a state of the art contemporary school in the city. And in the same area, the houses that replaced the tenements in the area with B&Q style post modern styling. To think these are part of the extended street that encompases Rodney street is mind blowing.

Got to agree with the comments about the student and housing trust houses in front of the cathedral and Queens Square. Amazing to believe that the brick building that faces onto Williamson sq is by Ken Martin who also designed the excellent 60's extension to the Playhouse and the Conservation centre.

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Obviously in a minority of one here but I don't mind Concourse house and think it should have been refurbed whilst allowing Chieften to build their tower behind rather than knocking it back. The problem is the concourse itself where the shops obscure the front of the station.

One building I really hate despite it being a great asset to the city centre is the new(late 90's) Pleasant street school on Clarence street which looks like a suburban bungalow that has been badly extended and built on. This was a truly wasted opportunity to build a state of the art contemporary school in the city. And in the same area, the houses that replaced the tenements in the area with B&Q style post modern styling. To think these are part of the extended street that encompases Rodney street is mind blowing.

Got to agree with the comments about the student and housing trust houses in front of the cathedral and Queens Square. Amazing to believe that the brick building that faces onto Williamson sq is by Ken Martin who also designed the excellent 60's extension to the Playhouse and the Conservation centre.

Not quite a minority of one !! I too agree about the Concourse House. It could be refurbished but I suspect there's more profit in building new. The concourse & shops is typical 60s naff and should go. It reminds me of that other naff & grotty concourse under the Centre Point building near Tottenham Court Rd in London. I too think the JJB sports and other shops building on Williamson Sq is appalling and typically derivative. It looks ripe already for remodelling to get rid of the awful overhanging roof etc

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    What they knocked down were the last remaining buildings of the Workhouse!
    Something that should have been kept and put on the tourist route.
    Let's hope the previous owners (the Metropolitan Cathedral) got a good price for the site.
    The former Archdiocese offices I think these were. Very awkward to photo with a cheap camera too-I had to take them through the windows of the Uni Engineering building!

Dave.

PhilipG

Default Postcard, c1969-70.

Looks like a model toy town.

I'd be like Godzilla In that postcard.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Great pic Phil.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by skgogosfan View Post
    The former Archdiocese offices I think these were. Very awkward to photo with a cheap camera too-I had to take them through the windows of the Uni Engineering building!

Dave.
    The building was last used as the headquarters of the Nugent Care Society. I think they moved to Edge Lane about a year before the building was demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I don't like the new place on the corner of Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant, opposite the Guild of Students and the Victoria Building. Not sure of its name, not an awful place, but they knocked down some lovely old buildings to put it there, and I think it's too big for its location next to the cathedral

I don't think I was in town before the old buildings were demolished, but I quite like the new building - the shops on the Brownlow Hill side of it are much needed in that particular part of town. I'd like to see back-end of the Cathedral get some treatment though, at the minute the staircases look a mess, hardly inviting like the steps on mount pleasant are.

To the person whom mentioned the school on Clarence St - Amen, shockingly bad bit of architecture! It would certainly put me off buying one of the new apartments down that side street.

One last mention, the Multi-Storey CP on Mount Pleasant - one big mass of ugly concrete, though pretty much that whole bottom end of MP is a write-off!

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Not quite a minority of one !! I too agree about the Concourse House. It could be refurbished but I suspect there's more profit in building new. The concourse & shops is typical 60s naff and should go. It reminds me of that other naff & grotty concourse under the Centre Point building near Tottenham Court Rd in London. I too think the JJB sports and other shops building on Williamson Sq is appalling and typically derivative. It looks ripe already for remodelling to get rid of the awful overhanging roof etc
    Concourse house and Centre point are both by the same architect/developer I believe.......
    Someone mentioned the Mount Pleasant car park - dont mind, in fact quite like the Brownlow hill side of the car park but the Mount pleasant elevation and the way it juts out at points into Mount pleasant leaving large empty triangle shaped spaces is horrible. Surely a developer with a bit of imagination could do something with these nasty areas no matter what shape they are.

Sad to see the remaining houses (Bedford street I think) that the university demolished to make way for a flat car park in that aerial shot post card

Thumbs down

The Deaf Centre on queens drive next to West Derby Comp. A hideous 1960's lump of concrete. There where rumours about a year ago that the Beefeater Restaurant next door had bought it, but nothing has happened since.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    The Deaf Centre on queens drive next to West Derby Comp. A hideous 1960's lump of concrete. There where rumours about a year ago that the Beefeater Restaurant next door had bought it, but nothing has happened since.
    I agree with that,I take my son there and its no better inside
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    Yes, awful, and they came from that wonderful red-brick hexagonal building in Princes Avenue.

Further up Queens Drive is a library (Larkhill?) which looks disgusting.
    I only ever pass it, so don't know if it's supposed to be open or not.

Libertarian

John Moores Uni on Byrom street. (A great uni in every way) but a terrible building. also the Royal Hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    John Moores Uni on Byrom street. (A great uni in every way) but a terrible building. also the Royal Hospital!
    I take it you mean the Royal Liverpool and not the old Royal infirmary
    Yes it is a horrible place and inside is just as bad.... Getting replaced
    in a few years.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast