Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ashfield Cottages—Hopwood Street—1900's

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I've a hunch you're right anyway. How common were privately built tenements like that back then, do you know?
    I don't know, Ged, but I've got a lot of the 1890ish OS maps, so I'll start looking.
    The 1863 map is excellent and shows places like the Model Lodging Houses in Northumberland Street, so my guess is there were probably quite a lot by 1890.

Hi,

Thanks for all replies, most informative, helpful and generous.

The Old map I'm referring to is:—
    "C.1890 street map of Liverpool" which is on CD supplied by S&N Genealogy Supplies.

I'm chasing my ancestors all over Everton, Kirkdale, Toxteth, etc and would love to be able to see more of Philip's 1925 map. I'm not sure about the protocol here but, Phil, and chance of getting hold of a copy?

Cheers

Joge

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by joge View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for all replies, most informative, helpful and generous.

The Old map I'm referring to is:—
    "C.1890 street map of Liverpool" which is on CD supplied by S&N Genealogy Supplies.

I'm chasing my ancestors all over Everton, Kirkdale, Toxteth, etc and would love to be able to see more of Philip's 1925 map. I'm not sure about the protocol here but, Phil, and chance of getting hold of a copy?

Cheers

Joge
    Joge, if you're local, you can photocopy the 1925 OS map at the Record Office in Liverpool Central Library.
    If not, you can get the 1905 OS map by post from Alan Godfrey (about £2).
    Do a Google and you'll find them.
    Either way, the one showing Ashfield Cottages is "Lancashire Sheet 106.10".

I can scan other streets for you (or anybody).
    Let me know if you'd like 1905 or 1925.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-29-2007 at 07:27 PM.

chippie

Default 1863 map

Philip, you mentioned an 1863 map that you have, does this show the top of Breck Road area? If so could you e mail it to me. The Breck Road area not the map

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    Philip, you mentioned an 1863 map that you have, does this show the top of Breck Road area? If so could you e mail it to me. The Breck Road area not the map
    Hello Chippie.

The best I can do at the moment is 1873, which is a smaller scale than 1863.
    It's in the 'Maps of Liverpool' thread.
    Exactly which street were you interested in, because my 1863 stops at Breckfield Road South?

chippie

Default desmond street

In the Freddy O,Connor book, Our City Our Heritage, it states that Washington Street was one of the first streets laid out and later changed it,s name to Desmond Street. The date mentioned was 1830 for Washington Street and I was wondering when it was renamed.

Thanks Phil anyway

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    In the Freddy O,Connor book, Our City Our Heritage, it states that Washington Street was one of the first streets laid out and later changed it,s name to Desmond Street. The date mentioned was 1830 for Washington Street and I was wondering when it was renamed.

Thanks Phil anyway
    Desmond Street ran parallel with Breck Road, at the start of Heyworth Street. It is called Desmond Street on the 1873 map.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/att...7&d=1180468573
    An 1836 map shows Washington Street (which became Desmond Street).
    If it helps, there were loads of streets in Toxteth renamed in the 1860s, because after Toxteth became part of Liverpool, there were streets with the same name in both districts.
    For example Rodney Street in Toxteth became Admiral Street, and Bedford Street became Beaufort Street.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-30-2007 at 04:00 AM.

hi,
    Phil, I'm in London — thanks for the Alan Godfrey ref., I'm investigating that.

One other puzzle you, or your cohorts, may be able to help with — I keep coming across references to "Saltines" — what and where are "Saltines"?

Regards

Joge

The only Saltines I know about are little savoury biscuits

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Desmond Street ran parallel with Breck Road, at the start of Heyworth Street. It is called Desmond Street on the 1873 map.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/att...7&d=1180468573
    An 1836 map shows Washington Street (which became Desmond Street).
    If it helps, there were loads of streets in Toxteth renamed in the 1860s, because after Toxteth became part of Liverpool, there were streets with the same name in both districts.
    For example Rodney Street in Toxteth became Admiral Street, and Bedford Street became Beaufort Street.

Fantastic information Phi. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

When my Granny married in 1887 she was living in Carey St. This was next to Abstinence St. in the area renowned for the poor quality of its health, sanitation and life expectancy. These streets were so bad they were wiped out sometime before 1906 [O.S. map 1906]. They are shown on my "alleged" map of c.1890.
    They are shown more clearly on an 1891 map found at toxteth.net [can't do links!!?].
    http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...e%20street.htm
    [Maybe I can?!?]
    Does anyone have a copy from which they can show me a larger area?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abstinence st 1891.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	3206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carey Street1891.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	3207  
    Last edited by joge; 06-01-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Missing attachments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12