YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashfield Cottages—Hopwood Street—1900's

Thanks

Default Ashfield Cottages—Hopwood Street—1900's

Hello All,
    My Grandparents, Thomas & Mary Manley, brought up a family of nine children in Ashfield Cottages in late 1890's early 1900's.
    Apart from that I have found nothing about Ashfield Cottages, which I think were in Hopwood Street [?].
    Any info/pics — anything at all?
    Thanks in advance
    Joge

ADVERTISING

Gnomie

Hi Joge and welcome

I had rellies in Ashfield cottages and in Ashfield gardens. cant find any pics for the gardens though. I think ( i may get corrected ) that they where near St Martins cottages, was that ashfield street? between Sylvester and Hopwood street.

Im sure someone will give a better idea.

good luck.

Tony.

Thanks

Hi, and thanks for replies and pics.
    Massive re-assessment of my mental image of what Ashfield Cottages might have looked like!! "Cottages" indeed — someone in the planning department had a wondefully ironic sense of humour when it came to naming those tenements.
    I'm still trying to pin down their exact location — hence the 1890 map [Which I hope I've attached O.K.].
    This is from the check list of Corporation "Dwellings" provided by Philip G:—
    1868-9 Housing: St Martin's Cottages, Vauxhall Road/Silvester Street. Built 1868-69. Opened 1869. 124 units. These were Liverpool's (& Britain's) 1st Corporation Housing.

I presume St. Martins Cottages is as indicated, and I'm guessing Ashfield Cottages is off Hopwood St.

Thanks again.

Joge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashfield Cottages.jpeg 
Views:	350 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	3149  

PhilipG

Here's Ashfield Cottages on the 1925 OS map. (Source: LRO).
    They're also shown on the 1905 OS reprint by Alan Godfrey.
    I'm reasonably sure that they were privately built rather than Corporation "Dwellings".
    My list is probably complete for all Corpy-built housing before 1920.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...tion+dwellings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ashfield.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	3162  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-29-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks

As you can see joge, St. Martin's cottages went right down to Vauxhall road and a pic of them can be seen on the Scottie press website supplied earlier on by Gerard, so the first OS map you put up doesn't contain them but instead shows a works. Ashfield cottages are shown on Phil's 2nd OS map and they were situated in Ashfield st from where the 'cottages' get their name.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As you can see joge, St. Martin's cottages went right down to Vauxhall road and a pic of them can be seen on the Scottie press website supplied earlier on by Gerard, so the first OS map you put up doesn't contain them but instead shows a works. Ashfield cottages are shown on Phil's 2nd OS map and they were situated in Ashfield st from where the 'cottages' get their name.
    Ged, I didn't say before, but Joge's map isn't the 1890 OS.
    I don't actually recognise his map, but I've got most of the 1890 sheet 106.10, but not the top bit where Ashfield Cottages were.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast