Thread: Busy Cleaning Windows, 1953

Blog Entries

Default Busy Cleaning Windows, 1953

Today is a landmark for me. It is exactly one year since I started this blog and 133 posts later, I am still going strong with over 6000 logging on monthly (and growing). I can only say thank you for your support, emails and posts. I have been asked to supply numerous images of streets, [...]

More...

And a fine year it has been too . Thank you for all the wonderful photographs and amazing stories .
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
    Malcolm X

Thanks again,Colin! Especially pic' no'2,as those 3 wheeler bikes were the "thing" to have then! And also, the "wellies",which seem inappropriate to the weather, and would soon make your legs sore!!

That woman has never watched how her Ma cleaned the windies...you push up the bottom windiw,sit on the sill and pull down the lower windie and clean it,then you push the bottom windie up and pull down the top windie to clean....na need fo ladders...missus!

Long may your posts continue Colin. As I prefer pics of what has gone and the way things were, your posts are amongst those I look out for first.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Today is a landmark for me. It is exactly one year since I started this blog and 133 posts later, I am still going strong with over 6000 logging on monthly (and growing). I can only say thank you for your support, emails and posts. I have been asked to supply numerous images of streets, [...]

More...
    I echo what ged says, have you ever looked at where your traffic comes from? I would be interested to see how many visitors log on for yo! Liverpool :-)

Sent via my Lee Droid custom HTC Desire mobile phone by the power of Grey Skull......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    That woman has never watched how her Ma cleaned the windies...you push up the bottom windiw,sit on the sill and pull down the lower windie and clean it,then you push the bottom windie up and pull down the top windie to clean....na need fo ladders...missus!
    It is either that 'er ol' man has painted the windows shut, or trapping a very pinchable bottom hanging out in the street is a lesson learned.

Me mam used to clean our back windows the same way in Reading St tenements,park herself ouside on the sill while my sister or I passed her the chamois leather and then the polishing cloth. These were 3 floors up
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Bit of a bind thouigh as she sometimes dropped the leather or the cloth one of us would have to retrieve it,
    Looking back she must have been mad as the property was very old, the whole frame could have come away.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Did yer Ma wear an Hilda Ogden scarf and have a fag hangin out the side of her lips.

Like this lady here d'ya mean?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

St. Martin's cottages. Europe's first municipal housing.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Well she's a proud lady despite whether its worth cleaning em....people would have thought the glaziers been.

My Mum used to do the exact same thing in Sir Thomas White Gardens ..
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
    Malcolm X

Well I don't think the window cleaaners had long enough ladders for Tommy Whites,Debra.

Would have made a fortune back then making and selling these....

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Did yer Ma wear an Hilda Ogden scarf and have a fag hangin out the side of her lips.
    She liked a pint George, but never smoked
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a