YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underground Lake?

Thanks

Default Underground Lake?

Hey,

ADVERTISING

Been reading around, and heard of the possibilities of an underground lake under liverpool? Supposedly goes from cains, down to the liver building (passing under Joseph Heaps Rice mill). Cant seem to find any solid evidence other than stories on it, could anyone shed some light?

Oh, and hi btw, first time poster

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I hope this does not stem simply from the name, LiverPOOL.

Although not at all like searching for a nut in Bolt-on.

Hello and welcome to you gouranga.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the boards mate.

I've heard this as well and did a little bit of digging (pardon the pun). It seems that when we say 'underground lake' we imagine some sort of enormous water filled cavern, complete with stalactites and luminous mosses - just ready for a Goonies-esque adventure in a small wooden boat.

Sadly when geologists talk of an underground lake, they mean an area of rock that is very, very wet. As I understand it, it's like having a small puddle in the street - it is quite clearly a puddle. Put a sponge into it and soak up the small puddle - you still have the same amount of water in the sponge but it's not exactly a puddle is it?

I can well imagine there being one under Cains brewery because the brewery was opened on the site in Stanhope Street because of the well on that site which supplied the water for making the beer (and still does).

In an area like Liverpool where the bedrock is mainly bunter sandstone - and therefore allows water through - it is very easy to get these 'lakes'.

Thanks

...especially when there are so many above ground who continue to spill their drink!

Thanks

There is one in Bootle,which was,at one time,used to supply water to Liverpool! Apparently,there's still some sort of access!? As you say Fortinian, Liverpool,is on a bed of sandstone,so there are probably numerous caverns,streams,etc, man-made,or natural!

Thanks

I was interested to see a flood of waters arising from recent workings on Hall Lane. They seem to come from red sandstone bedrock and set me wondering if they might be one of the lost streams of Liverpool? The recent road works in the Edge Hill area have also uncovered what appear to be red sandstone pavements below the modern pavements and set me thinking of Williamson's quarries. Both these conjectures are simply guesses and I've no firm evidence to confirm anything.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast