Thread: John Bibby and Son Garston

Default John Bibby and Son Garston

This company manufactured copper plates for a number of uses. Initially to sheath wooden sailing ships, hence the phrase "Copper Bottomed" and later heat exchangers and condensers made out of copper plate and tubes. They opened in Garston in the mid 1860s and closed in the mid 1930s. Profits from this and other works in the Bibby empire helped pay for All hallows Church in Allerton, Liverpool.

Photo is of the Copper works old water tower viewed from Blackburne St

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Tower Bibby's Works Blackburne St Garston UTB 146.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	3124  

Blog Entries

Not sure if this is the same 'Bibby', please confirm someone:

THE world’s oldest deep-sea shipping company celebrated its 200th anniversary by launching 2,000 balloons from Liverpool’s Albert Dock.

Children of Bibby Line employees were invited to design the balloons and the four winners started the race from the deck of a tall ship.

The winners were Charlotte Smith, six, of Moreton in Wirral, Harry Hughes, six, of Wilmslow, Helena Wilde, seven, of Bury, and Chloe Anthony, eight, from Paris.

Bibby employees were invited to enter the balloon race and the owner of the winning balloon will receive £500 for a charity of their choice.

IC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Don't know if the above two were the same, but there was another with exactly the same name.
    The other Bibby's still exist and have their HQ in the former first public library in Duke Street.
    They were "seed crushers" and produced edible oils, soap, etc.

Unusually for me, I haven't checked all my facts.
    So I'll have a little look up.
    It's a fact that Bibby's are still in Duke Street, but I'm not sure if they're shipping or oils.

Just done a Google.
    Bibby's are into all sorts:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=bibby...e=utf8&oe=utf8
    Last edited by PhilipG; 08-02-2007 at 10:54 AM.

The Bibby's that did the oils/seeds etc had their massive factory on Great Howard st where Cosco now is and I have pics of it on my site and another one or two to still upload. It was a place where the local kids from the tennies would go down with corn to catch 'micks'.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The Bibby's that did the oils/seeds etc had their massive factory on Great Howard st where Cosco now is and I have pics of it on my site and another one or two to still upload. It was a place where the local kids from the tennies would go down with corn to catch 'micks'.
    That the one that looked like it should be in Chicago?
    It was yet another building designed by W Aubrey Thomas (Royal Liver Building, Tower Building, State, Blacklers [the original building, not the present one], etc.).

It's a pity that the craze for restoring brownfields sites into luxury apartments by the likes of Urban Splash didn't come sooner for that building, it might've survived but perhaps i'm just wanting that because I always remember it as a fine (ish) building and a local landmark during my childhood.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Liverpool Bibby Industrialists

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Not sure if this is the same 'Bibby', please confirm someone:

THE world’s oldest deep-sea shipping company celebrated its 200th anniversary by launching 2,000 balloons from Liverpool’s Albert Dock.

Children of Bibby Line employees were invited to design the balloons and the four winners started the race from the deck of a tall ship.

The winners were Charlotte Smith, six, of Moreton in Wirral, Harry Hughes, six, of Wilmslow, Helena Wilde, seven, of Bury, and Chloe Anthony, eight, from Paris.

Bibby employees were invited to enter the balloon race and the owner of the winning balloon will receive £500 for a charity of their choice.

IC Liverpool
    Same family but the Garston John Bibby bought out his family's copper and iron interests in the early 1860s. Interestingly, Sir Michael Bibby of Bibby Line etc has renewed his family's association with All Hallows Church, Allerton and a Bibby is once again the Patron.