YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Judas

  1. #1
    Senior Member mickeydoolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Judas

    Do the kids in The Dingle still burn Judas on Good Friday morning?


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Came fourth...now what? Oudeis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    It appears to be a Greek Orthodox church ritual...

    http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-c...eekeaster.html

    [BTW. last week and this on a TV programme, The Antiques Road Trip, BBC2 5.15 pm. they have visited Liverpool, Chester, The Wirrel and the Birkenhead side. I enjoyed seeing them all.]

  3. #3
    Senior Member fortinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ah... the Judas Burnings. This is a really quirky scouse tradition. I don't think it happens anymore, but I know people who certainly remember and partook in it.

    I had an article somewhere about this tradition, i'll try and dig it out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Ah... the Judas Burnings. This is a really quirky scouse tradition. I don't think it happens anymore, but I know people who certainly remember and partook in it.

    I had an article somewhere about this tradition, i'll try and dig it out.
    There's a thread on this here.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  5. #5
    Senior Member John Doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A coded identity, I suspect - for 'Judas' read 'Pope'! Good that all that animosity has faded away now - thanks mainly, I would argue, to the efforts of those two remarkable Archbishops, Shepherd and Worlock.

    A pointer to the truth or otherwise of this might be to try and establish the date on which that second 'bommy night' was held...

  6. #6
    Senior Member GeorgePorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Would that be Derek Worlock as opposed to Warlock? JB would be a bit of a misfortune to have the name of witchcraft being a priest methinks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Third rock
    Posts
    1,129
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    There's an interesting BBC article here, referring to the burning of Judas in the Toxteth and Dingle areas.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml



    Also wiki...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Judas

    And another thread here leading on the BBC article above.

    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...UDAS%20BURNING
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Senior Member John Doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Still no reference to the Pope though! Odd that the tradition seems to be common to a number of Catholic countries, yet the Dingle was always a Proddy stronghold. I can myself remember the graffiti reading "Hang The Pope" that used to be common there... So I'm sticking to my explanation until a better one comes along...

    ---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Would that be Derek Worlock as opposed to Warlock? JB would be a bit of a misfortune to have the name of witchcraft being a priest methinks.
    Thanks, George - noted and corrected!

  9. #9
    Senior Member dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Third rock
    Posts
    1,129
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    It is odd, as you say, Toxteth and the Dingle are for the most part protestant. Although not exclusively - here's a snapshot of the different faiths represented in Toxteth:

    Church of England, Church of England, Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Welsh Baptist
    Lancashire OnLine Parish


    The burning of Judas is popular in Catholic countries, especially Greece, Spain and Portugal. I wonder if there's a connection to the streets mentioned in the article?

    'Moses Street'
    'Cockburn Street to Grafton Street'
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mickeydoolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    A coded identity, I suspect - for 'Judas' read 'Pope'! Good that all that animosity has faded away now - thanks mainly, I would argue, to the efforts of those two remarkable Archbishops, Shepherd and Worlock.

    A pointer to the truth or otherwise of this might be to try and establish the date on which that second 'bommy night' was held...
    No John I don't think all of the animosity has gone just try posting about Joseph Alios Ratzinger & watch them come out of the woodwork.
    We didn't burn Judas at night time, it was always first thing on Good Friday.

  11. #11
    essexscouse essexscouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    It is odd, as you say, Toxteth and the Dingle are for the most part protestant. Although not exclusively - here's a snapshot of the different faiths represented in Toxteth:

    Church of England, Church of England, Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Welsh Baptist
    Lancashire OnLine Parish


    The burning of Judas is popular in Catholic countries, especially Greece, Spain and Portugal. I wonder if there's a connection to the streets mentioned in the article?

    'Moses Street'
    'Cockburn Street to Grafton Street'

    No mention of Catholics but most of my street was catholic (Hodges Mount) and there were 3 churches and 4 schools for catholics in Toxteth/Dingle within a mile of high park street

  12. #12
    Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It sounds familiar but I don't remember actually doing it. I think I remember that it WAS done by the older kids but before we were up and about. Don't remember it at all in my teens.

    I have a friend from (and still lives in) Lewis where they have a huge annual ceremony by the whole little town/village drags an effigy of the Pope on a cart to the top of a hill. The effigy is filled with fireworks, there is a big to-do with everyone carrying flaming torches. Then they burn the effigy. I have a friend from Kent who went to see it and described it to me, however, my friend Avril SWEARS it is not a religious thing,(does not want to hurt my feelings) The image of the Pope with fireworks shooting out of his hands and body and his head explodes at the end seems a tad religious to me, I think it is hilarious. I am willing to believe it is now simply tradition as opposed to religious.

    ---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by essexscouse View Post
    No mention of Catholics but most of my street was catholic (Hodges Mount) and there were 3 churches and 4 schools for catholics in Toxteth/Dingle within a mile of high park street
    I lived off High Park Street. I am a left footer!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

  13. #13
    Newbie Mrs M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoolan View Post
    Do the kids in The Dingle still burn Judas on Good Friday morning?
    No longer live in Liverpool, but we used to in the late 50's and 60's was good fun - our fire was at the bottom on Wellington Road, there was another one in Lockhart Street and Thornton Place.

  14. #14
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Very strange Mrs M. Our fire was in the living room
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Similar Threads

  1. Burning Judas
    By squiggs in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
  2. Judas Burning - The Liverpool Good Friday tradition
    By Kev in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 11:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!