Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acacia House - Everton Brow / Shaw Street

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by johnmed View Post
    it looks tinned up gerard

The windows to the left of the door John are where I saw the people on Computers..Ang On half an hour or so..I go up the brow for my Sunday papers..
    Photo mission coming on me thinks...Any excuse..

how exciting.... ha ha

Gerard

how exciting.... ha ha
    I know John...I've been thinking about changing my news agents for a while now.
    There yer go John..still open.

Last edited by Gerard; 05-27-2007 at 02:51 PM.

I used to sit there...

Was it refurbed recently? Sure I saw metal sheet against the windows a while back...

GREAT PHOTO BTW. Fresh of the press too!

WOW..................

How quick was that

Always service with a smile

Jacky

Gerard

I used to sit there...

Was it refurbed recently? Sure I saw metal sheet against the windows a while back...

GREAT PHOTO BTW. Fresh of the press too!
    My people on the ground tell me John the people in there work for the council homeless department who are waiting to move back to their own premises which are being re-furbished.
    119 will be opening again as a homeless single mens refuge in about 8/10 weeks for about 12 months and thats that.
    Nobody knows whats happening to the building after that.
    I have put my people on red alert and you will be updated when I am given fresh informacio...Lol...
    And thank you Sir.

Default acacia house

Hello Mike Jones

I was born and brought up in Acacia House from 1935 to 1942-3 when it was owened and run by Tom and Gladys Jones I would love to see any photos.

joan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying to find out any info on Acacia House on Everton Brow or Shaw Street (possibly on the corner). My grandfather (Tom Jones) ran a 'dancing academy' there probably in 1920s or 1930s and I would love to hear from anyone who remembers it or has any photos or maps with it on.

All I have is a copy of his headed business letterhead and a photo of someone in a doorway.

I live in Staffordshire now, but visited the area this weekend to seek out any ghosts - it was strange seeing it for the first time.,,,,

thanks

Mike Jones

hi mike wonder if you read my message I lived in acacia house at the time you were mentioning. Waiting to hear more from you Joan.

Partsky

I am in the wrong house or didnt it used to be the old "Petrus" hostel for men? Is this the right building?

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    I am in the wrong house or didnt it used to be the old "Petrus" hostel for men? Is this the right building?
    Thats the one, its currently the city council's homeless centre for single men.

I'm confused now (again)

Hadn't it been established earlier that Acacia House was on the corner of Everton Brow and Netherfield Road South and was now a patch of grass.

The Petrus/Unique, which is photographed by Gerard earlier in the thread is still there though, a little further along Netherfield Road South's continuation which is Shaw Street, almost facing Whitley Gardens.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I'm confused now (again)

Hadn't it been established earlier that Acacia House was on the corner of Everton Brow and Netherfield Road South and was now a patch of grass.

The Petrus/Unique, which is photographed by Gerard earlier in the thread is still there though, a little further along Netherfield Road South's continuation which is Shaw Street, almost facing Whitley Gardens.
    Dunno mate only skimmed through the thread, I am sure though that the building Gerard photographed is the ex Petrus hostel and is now a council hostel.

Yes it is, I remember it as the 'Unique' hostel where the homeless men went, However, Acacia House was on the corner and is now demolished.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Acacia House

Quote Originally Posted by joan bradshaw View Post
    hi mike wonder if you read my message I lived in acacia house at the time you were mentioning. Waiting to hear more from you Joan.
    Joan - Sorry not to have replied - had lost my login. Could you contact me directly on shirburn@googlemail.com - would love to hear more about memories of Acacia House
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Great pics and info Gerard. Yes, that was the unique on your 1st photie. I have an old map showing Everton Crescent and indeed the row of buildings on that side were set back in a curve. The opposite side, I remember the old terraces where my doctors were in the late 1960s - Dr Connolly. Later when he died I went to Dr Reid who was based in the 50s flats in Watmough st facing coffy's pubs (when the Henderson's had it) Dr Reid later moved to Greaty by the 7 stars pub.
    dr. connollys daughter , dr renton still continues the practice which has now been moved to the end of shaw st. in the orginal N.S.P.C.C building , end of shaw st and top of islington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast