Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acacia House - Everton Brow / Shaw Street

Default Acacia House - Everton Brow / Shaw Street

Hi,
    I'm trying to find out any info on Acacia House on Everton Brow or Shaw Street (possibly on the corner). My grandfather (Tom Jones) ran a 'dancing academy' there probably in 1920s or 1930s and I would love to hear from anyone who remembers it or has any photos or maps with it on.

All I have is a copy of his headed business letterhead and a photo of someone in a doorway.

I live in Staffordshire now, but visited the area this weekend to seek out any ghosts - it was strange seeing it for the first time.

thanks

Mike Jones

PhilipG

Hello MikeyJ and welcome.

This is what the 1936 street directory says:
    Acacia Dancing Academy Co.,
    Dancing Rooms,
    (William Tipping Jones, manager),
    71 Everton Brow.
    (It was on the corner of Netherfield Road South).

Default Acacia House

Thanks for tracking this down - a great help!
    Do you know where I might find an on line map from this period?
    Do you know if the council has records of demolition - I was wondering if the house was damaged in the war or later in the clearances in the 60s. It might even still be there - I didn't do down Everton Brow at the weekend, because I thought it must have been on the Shaw Street corner.

thanks
    Mike

Did that building become the 'unique' doss house or was that a few doors further along to the South?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

chippie

Default unique

sounds like the unique to me from the description Ged.

Gerard

Mikey,hope these few piccies are of use to you..upload them if you want mate..
    Ged,the Unique building is 119 Shaw Street so Philip's research would suggest 71 Everton Brow was Indeed on the North side of the Top of Everton Brow.

Everton Brow looking south along Shaw St.

The block on the left is 119 Shaw Street,Everton Brow running down toward Richmond Row leading to St Anne St,
    To the right of the top of Everton Brow is the begining of Netherfield Road.
    71 Everton Brow would have been on the grass wasteland..Formerly the Friary boys school.

Rrrrrrrrrrr ehhhhhhhhhhhh.......not more !!

The "Brow" cornershop is no 55/57 Everton Brow..
    71 Everton Brow would have been right in front of me Mikey.

This is the middle of Everton Brow looking up toward Shaw St/Netherfield Road..
    My informants tell me that This side of Coffeys pub was once Everton Crescent and Everton Brow started after Coffeys.

Last edited by Gerard; 05-24-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Great pics and info Gerard. Yes, that was the unique on your 1st photie. I have an old map showing Everton Crescent and indeed the row of buildings on that side were set back in a curve. The opposite side, I remember the old terraces where my doctors were in the late 1960s - Dr Connolly. Later when he died I went to Dr Reid who was based in the 50s flats in Watmough st facing coffy's pubs (when the Henderson's had it) Dr Reid later moved to Greaty by the 7 stars pub.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

chippie

Default the brow

my mistake Gerard, nice pictures. So they,re going to build on that grassy bank after all these years, at least twentyfive it,s been vacant. And the forty steps are getting done up too. Used to stand on them whilst watching the orange lodge back in the 60s

Gerard

Thanks Ged,chippie..it must be 25 years chippie since the old school was knocked down,
    I wish they would remove them bollards that are at the top of the steps so you can drive up Browside/Village St up to Heyworth St.
    I've found a snidey way though the Park though opposite the Tuggy..
    Dont have to go all around the world now to get up by Margy baths to see my uncle.

chippie

Default the brow

I,ve still got an uncle lives in that area Gerard, Aubrey Street what it was called years ago.

Default Everton Brow

thanks for all the info - I'm having guilty feelings now, seeing how close the family lived to the lockup and having heard that the family had a toffee shop in the 1920's. I'll have to get a check up and see if I have blue blood after all!

Well done to the Reds tonight

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
    thanks for all the info - I'm having guilty feelings now, seeing how close the family lived to the lockup and having heard that the family had a toffee shop in the 1920's. I'll have to get a check up and see if I have blue blood after all!

Well done to the Reds tonight

Does that mean you like the photo's then Mikey.

I worked at 119 shaw street a few years back. What's the history of this place then? Seems to have closed down, but still be well kept and to have lights on inside. Weird

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by johnmed View Post
    I worked at 119 shaw street a few years back. What's the history of this place then? Seems to have closed down, but still be well kept and to have lights on inside. Weird
    Hello John,119 is still open,I saw a few chaps in there on Computers,I never looked for a name plate but I'll check next time I pass there.

it looks tinned up gerard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast