Thread: Lodging House in Toxteth

Default Lodging House in Toxteth

I am wondering if anyone knows anything on the Lodging House that was in Toxteth, I think it was in Hillside Ave and does anyone know where if there is a photo off it about anywhere that I can take a look at, or even any books that gives the lodging house a mention. Every little bit of info will be helpful

Know Toxteth pretty well and never heard of a Hillside Avenue there. There's a Hillside Avenue in Knowsley but that's nearer to Croxteth.

Only well known lodging house left in Toxteth - and there were loads - is the one on the corner of St James Place and Upper Stanhope Street but that's been empty for decades. Used to be hostel for African seamen years ago. Or the Aber House Hotel in Falkner Street - a real flop house- but that's been done up into smart flats now.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeh64 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows anything on the Lodging House that was in Toxteth, I think it was in Hillside Ave and does anyone know where if there is a photo off it about anywhere that I can take a look at, or even any books that gives the lodging house a mention. Every little bit of info will be helpful
    Hello mbeh64

You say "Lodging House" as if, as birdseye thought, you are asking about a lodging house as in a place to stay. However, it occurs to me you might be asking about the lodges for Toxteth Park, one of which still exists in a rebuilt form, the Higher Lodge which Kev recently visited and photographed. If that is what you mean, there are photographs of it at "King John's Hunting Lodge."

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I never thought of that Chris. I was thinking of the lodging house as in the saying I used to hear when was a kid " 'Ees gorran' 'ead like a lodging 'ouse cat."

As well as the Hunting Lodge, there's a park lodge right opposite and one at the other end of Aigburth Drive. Wonder if they're the ones he means.

I should have said, The lodging house was there in the (1800s I think or there about) and I know its been knocked down since but Ive been told that it stood in Hill Street and it was called Model Lodging House.

If you go to a brilliant site called Toxteth.net you'll find a list of street directories there from 19th and 20th centuries. Had a quick look and there's a few lodging houses there in the 1850s. Spend a bit of time there and you'll find what you want. One of the best local history sites on the net.

PhilipG

I should have said, The lodging house was there in the (1800s I think or there about) and I know its been knocked down since but Ive been told that it stood in Hill Street and it was called Model Lodging House.
    I don't know about any in Hill Street, but there was a famous one in Northumberland Street.
    There's a whole thread about it.
    No photos, though.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...berland+street

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I don't know about any in Hill Street, but there was a famous one in Northumberland Street.
    There's a whole thread about it.
    No photos, though.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...berland+street
    By the way, I'm not getting at anyone in particular, but when people ask questions on forums, it would help if they say what makes them ask.
    Then the people who might be able to answer would know how to help.

For instance, I couldn't make much out of the first post in this thread.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-11-2007 at 10:55 AM.

OK my brother has been doing a family research and it seems that our family is connected to it, but I just want to find out (if I can) as much as possible on the building itself. It was at 58A Hill Street and it was a Model Lodging House. In 1881 The Properitor was Jospeph Duggan.

OK my brother has been doing a family research and it seems that our family is connected to it, but I just want to find out (if I can) as much as possible on the building itself. It was at 58A Hill Street and it was a Model Lodging House. In 1881 The Properitor was Jospeph Duggan.
    Hi mbeh64

Thanks for giving us the additional information on why you asked the question. While not specific to the model lodging house you are looking for, there are images on the net of model lodging houses around the British Isles on Google which might give you an idea of what the one in Hill Street might have looked like, particularly the sleeping arrangements etc.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

58 Hill Street was on the corner of Beaufort Street, and the 1936 directory shows it to be the Neptune Hotel.
    58A isn't listed, but 56A was occupied by a shopkeeper.

Earlier Street Directories will probably be more rewarding.