Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuebrook Uncovered

the Sheil rd corner!
    Yes but I'm not too sure on this side as there were high rise flats before the houses there now,but my mind is niggling away saying there where buildings/shops/houses on that side of the road going up towards the Grafton.

Mind is sketchy on this particular area.

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Even the great mephisto Ged doesn't have pics on this sideofthe location.
    He does have some pics of Rocky lane but they're actually Lower Breck not Rocky lane,Rocky Lane started at the Belmont and ended at Lower Breck.
    West Deby Road started at Brougham Terrace and ended at the Belmont,after Lower breck it became west derby road again.

West Derby Road was a new A road and before it was implemented only Belmont Drive was there,thats the drive adjacent to the park corner gates or stone pillars because the gates are well gone.
    There was also a church directly afte the grafton

West Derby Road...what way is the first pic looking ie is this exactly the same viwe as the second pic with Belmont Road Church in the distance? if it is then this is what it looked like from the Grafton end.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

oops! scoll down till you come to the pic"West Derby Road"

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I think that's right George...the "Belmont" pub,St ??? church,the gateway to Newsham park estate,and the Sheil rd corner!
    St Margarets.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

[]
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Yes but I'm not too sure on this side as there were high rise flats before the houses there now,but my mind is niggling away saying there where buildings/shops/houses on that side of the road going up towards the Grafton.

Mind is sketchy on this particular area.

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Even the great mephisto Ged doesn't have pics on this sideofthe location.
    He does have some pics of Rocky lane but they're actually Lower Breck not Rocky lane,Rocky Lane started at the Belmont and ended at Lower Breck.
    West Deby Road started at Brougham Terrace and ended at the Belmont,after Lower breck it became west derby road again.

West Derby Road was a new A road and before it was implemented only Belmont Drive was there,thats the drive adjacent to the park corner gates or stone pillars because the gates are well gone.
    There was also a church directly afte the grafton

quote - 'Even the great mephisto Ged doesn't have pics on this sideofthe location.'
    Ha,ha, the great mephisto - -- -- sorry for laughing Ged I'll keep thinking of you as the great mephisto

If there was any milk bar around there it must have been before I was born in the 1950s ! It must have been in my parents/grandparents times.

There were shops etc leading up West Derby rd towards the Grafton, but I'm not familiar with what was up that end

I only knew of Capaldis which was Kensington.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

oops! scoll down till you come to the pic"West Derby Road"
    .. .. I've looked - - but we don't know if there was a milk bar there

I don't know as I didn't go up that neck of the woods.

I've looked - - but we don't know if there was a milk bar there
    Nah!woman,I was trying to find out what was there before the highrise flats and I blew the photo up and it looks as if there was big houses there at the back of the tall trees...just like there is on the park entrance ie Belmont Drive.

So all is sussed and hunky dory.

Thanks for the comments re the ` 5 Jolly Gremlins` snack/ice cream bar. Feel sure it was near that corner though, if not on the corner itself. Maybe a check on a street directory of the late 1940s to mid 1950s would confirm.

Hi Steve. It's a great one this isn't it. The park had the 3 heights built on it in the 60s as part of the urban sprawl.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I'm made up with this picture of Lowerbreck rd I found on Tuebrook Uncovered site.

Lowerbreck rd had 3 raised 'planters' - - raised areas with trees growing in them. We used to call them the 'boulevards' There were 3 of them, 2 large lozenge shaped ones which where by the Red streets, and a smaller square one near to Hanwell st. (which is out of shot on the picture).
    Actually, I think the small square one was added in later years because I remember that it was made in newer brick.
    I've always wanted to see a picture of them and have never come across one until now. Pity this image is not very clear, but you can just make out the raised 'boulevards' with trees on top. They were about 3 ft high ( the furthest one in the photo was higher than the other) and we used to try and climb up on them when we were little. Can't remember what year they were removed - they were still there late 60's I think. They were definitely there mid 60's when I was going to school.
    I don't know why they were taken away because they were decorative and looked good on Lowerbreck rd with all the trees.
    I see by the photo that the mature and established trees that are still there now, were just newly planted saplings then.

The photo is a view looking down Lowerbreck towards 'the triangle' and the beginning of Breck rd.
    I notice that the 'triangle' hadn't yet been made into a little park. I think this might have been done approx late 1920's or early 1930's. judging by some old family photos I have taken by the triangle. It was fenced off and had shrubs and plants and some park benches.
    Zooming in on this photo, the triangle looks like a bare patch of land.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lowerbreck rd.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	18615  

Tuebrook Uncovered.
    What's happened to the 850 photos ??
    I was looking at lots of them the other week - now there appears to be only a few showing

All the images are still displayed on group Tuebrook Uncovered. Occasionaly Facebook goes haywire this may be the problem.
    Also there are now over 940 images on this group.

Thanks, I'll keep looking in.

Hello Ste. Great work you're doing in keeping Tuebrook in the news and being part of the group, I get your update emails.

If you take a look at this page on my site http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=50980053 it pertains to the Julia Wallace murder case of 1931 and includes the Tuebrook and Clubmoor areas.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by ste6040 View Post
    All the images are still displayed on group Tuebrook Uncovered. Occasionaly Facebook goes haywire this may be the problem.
    Also there are now over 940 images on this group.

It's ok now - I can see them all again! .. .. I've just lost another hour looking through them ! - some great photos in there.

Thanks Ged,
    A real interesting story of the Wallace murder

good site

Bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm having trouble again viewing the photo collection. I can read the wall ok, and the photo page comes up ok, but with only 11 pics.

Is anyone else finding the same thing ?

Initially I was able to view the photos and luckily managed to view most of them before this happened. I would like to have another look but can't see them anymore. I've tried at different times to no avail.

After I'd reported it in my previous post, I did manage to get them back just the once - but now I'm back to square one and can't see them again. Only 11 pics are showing on the page.

Can anyone let me know if they are seeing all the pics or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast