Thread: The Spion Kop - life after the new stadium.

Blog Entries

Default The Spion Kop - life after the new stadium.

Should the Spion Kop [the earth mound] remain when the new Liverpool stadium is built and the current site at Anfield is demolished/redeveloped?

Has any archaeology ever been carried out on its construction?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Should the Spion Kop [the earth mound] remain when the new Liverpool stadium is built and the current site at Anfield is demolished/redeveloped?

Has any archaeology ever been carried out on its construction?
    Hi Daz

I would like to think that the existing Anfield will not, after all, be demolished but that the new owners, New England Sports Ventures, will follow the model they pursued in renovating historic Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, and preserve but update Anfield.

I have no information on any archaeology done at Anfield or investigations into the original structures at the stadium.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Hi Chris,

I hope that is the case. In another example: I always felt we did the wrong thing with the original Wembley, in demolishing the towers...although I greatly admire the new stadium. I hope you're right about keeping the existing and phasing in new works on the current site. It may take longer...but the commitment to tradition and legacy will hopefully be appreciated by the fans.

Unless construction work is earmarked for Saturdays?

Archaeology - I wonder is there anything in the archives about its composition? Probably old rubble from the early slum clearances. It'd be interesting to find out though.

Cheers,

Daz
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks, Daz. I agree with you that something was lost in demolishing the twin towers at Wembley. Still good that you like the new Wembley.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Daz

I would like to think that the existing Anfield will not, after all, be demolished but that the new owners, New England Sports Ventures, will follow the model they pursued in renovating historic Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, and preserve but update Anfield.

I have no information on any archaeology done at Anfield or investigations into the original structures at the stadium.

Chris
    Hi Chris, I can't think of why LFC need to buid a new stadium when they have a perfectly good one, there is plenty of room for them to expand at the stadium as it stands. The thought of loosing the Kop is a definate no no it would be like ripping the heart out of Anfield.

John Henry has said they will not be moving but expanding if anything.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

That makes sense to me Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_2 View Post
    Hi Chris, I can't think of why LFC need to buid a new stadium when they have a perfectly good one, there is plenty of room for them to expand at the stadium as it stands. The thought of loosing the Kop is a definate no no it would be like ripping the heart out of Anfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    John Henry has said they will not be moving but expanding if anything.
    Great. Thanks, Gerry and Ged!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, that sounds encouraging.

Thanks guys, that sounds encouraging.
    Indeed, Daz. After spending some of the best times of my teenage years at Anfield, I would be loathe to see the historic stadium levelled.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Me too Chris. There's something meaningful about a small hill, or mound which you just don't get with a structure set up on a plot of land. This is not new of course. Greek amphitheatres became part of the archaic landscape - literally, an ear to the ground. The Kop somehow feels connected to the pitch, maybe that's why it's special. Everyone will have there own theories on this.

I did fear that it would be sold off in little commemorative bottles, like splinters of the cross.

Daz

Hi Daz

Here in Baltimore, historic Memorial Stadium where the Super Bowl-winning Baltimore Colts NFL team of Johnny Unitas as well as the World Series-winning Baltimore Orioles baseball team was demolished in favor of baseball-only Oriole Park at Camden Yards and an NFL football (and occasional international soccer!) stadium known as the M&T Bank Stadium, both downtown. Since Memorial Stadium located in the city's northern suburbs is only a mile and a half or so from where I live, I never fail to drive past the site, which is now senior housing, without a pang of regret for the heritage lost. I do believe that when the stadium was demolished, seats etc were sold as memorabilia.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Thanks Chris. How many children accompanied their parents to the Memorial Stadium and experienced many great memories together? I believe people do form strong emotional attachments to places, particularly buildings. Sadly, these values can't expressed on a developer's balance sheet.

Any visitor to Goodison will notice the funery tribute flowers to recently lost fans at the Dixie Dean memorial, or notice the Anfield gates, with the Hillsborough memorial. You can't fail to be moved by these gestures.

Cheers,

Daz
    PS. Everton's history is also a big part of Anfield. So we'd lose heritage tied to both Merseyside clubs.

Everton's history is also a big part of Anfield. So we'd lose heritage tied to both Merseyside clubs.
    Thanks, Daz. Indeed, I would be equally sorry to see Goodison demolished. I have had arguments here with Blues supporters who feel that the proposed move out to Kirkby would be the best thing. But I don't see it if Everton move physically out of the city of Liverpool. I think besides losing the heritage of Goodison they would also lose the cachet of being part of the city.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Agreed. Both Goodison and Anfield have a shared history together which explains their closeness. We also have two Cathedrals not too far apart. I would like to see an improvement of the facility of the club, but not at the expense of losing all the wonderful heritage.