Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Lennon: Where were you when?

Default John Lennon: Where were you when?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    John Lennon's death 30 years ago was one of those shocking, poignant "where were you when" moments that fashion collective memories out of historic events.
    More...
    Personally, I don't actually remember anything about it

I remember it very clearly. I remember my other half coming in and telling me the news he'd just heard on the radio. Probably the news had broke before then, but it was approx about 10:am when we first heard it. I remember the shock of hearing that he'd been killed. We were a bit stunned by it and didn't know what to think - like when the news first broke about Diana - no one knew what to think at first.

Blog Entries

On a Harrison Line bulk carrier a day from arriving in Adelaide. Lots of scousers on board - many of them in tears.

In bed,after a night shift! When my clock/radio went off,I drowsily wondered why they seemed to be playing Beatles/J.Lennon songs,continuously,......then the news came on! A big J.L. fan,but I'm a bit sick of the way he's being paraded round,the last few years,often by people who have no apparent connection to him,in anyway!! The way it goes,I suppose. R.I.P. Johnny!

Not a terribly memorable occasion for me, just watching it at home on the TV news... but I suspect that was because I was in denial, quite numbed at first... and had to watch several further reports before it really sank in...

Incidentally, there's a Candlelit Vigil tomorrow night from 8 pm to 9.30 pm at Chavasse Park by the new Peace Sculpture.

http://macca.devstars.eu/phpBB2/view...c40a093bd80fd8

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-27773474/

http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/w...-vigil-p257241

Thanks for that J.D. Might take a trip down there!

Blog Entries

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

I wonder what wonders there are to come...

My brother woke me up at about 5.30 in the morning to tell me. I can remember it all over the news for the rest of the day.
    It is Accomplished

Heard about it on my parents' kitchen clock radio in their ranch house in Owings Mills northwest of Baltimore. Couldn't quite take the news in. I had heard John's "Starting Over" a few days earlier which in itself startled me to realise it was John recording again after so many years -- the echo and style made it sound like an old Fifties song rather than anything new. Numb for the rest of the day and days after. So sad.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

I heard it on the dining room radio as I was getting ready for School in the morning. It must have been a weekday. I was really shocked and saddened by the news, as was everyone else at school.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

It was a monday. My ma woke me up for work at 8am and told me. I had got heavily into the Beatles in 1976 and was looking forward to the rumoured Lennon visit to the UK.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Went down to Liverpool 1 memorial,for John.There were about 150/200 brave souls bearing the cold,and singing along to various Lennon/beatles songs,with a couple of camera crews knocking about!(only lasted 40 min's,before we got off!)

I was born and lived in Liverpool from 1953 to 1983 before moving to Perth in 1994.
    On that particular morning I lay in bed when my radio alarm clock went off as usual at 10 minutes to seven. Radio City was playing a Beatle's song. Then they played another. I thought that was really unusual as they never played successive songs from the same artist. Then the morning DJ, Norman Thomas (a friend of John Lennon), uttered the unforgettable words that stay with me to this day…."This morning, John Lennon was gunned down on a New York sidewalk. He died later in hospital".
    I was numb with disbelief. My wife was the same. We both went to work and everybody in work, everybody in Liverpool were in a collective state of shock.
    It was tragic. It was like losing a family member.

I was living in croxteth at the time,,,,and i was going for me morning paper at Ernie Rodericks....it was on the front page
    wasnt really that much of a big shock as he was out of the limelite for a long time,,,

Still he was one of our own and like Elvis will never grow old....

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast