YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&S in todays standards

Thanks

Default H&S in todays standards

its very high in different fields particulary in buildings and homes,so with the double glazing for keeping in the warmth,what safty is there for fire in respect to the window frames? as far as I can see there is none as most casements are of the top opening and none in the bottom opening.
    Ok there are a few that open at the bottom but these are individual design,take my windows for example,down stairs are all opening at the top and are no good for escapement unless I smash the glass out,the bedroom windows open at the bottom but you have to faff about with two latche on the sides to open them fully,well they don't open fully...halfway to be exact....all this is to do with H&S so take into consideration that the Victoians didn't have any H&S in the 1900's the sash windows where the best in terms of Fire breakout in the home,you just lifted them up at the bottom and clambred out the window to safety.

Todays H&S pffffft!

ADVERTISING

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Today there are far far fewer naked flames in the home, fewer people to each room too and less inflammable house-hold goods. We all have smoke detectors, many have CO detectors too. Not to mention that fire engines can get to you far quicker these days also.
    Yes! If you feel the day might come when you must escape through your double-glazed units then keep a hammer close by. The appropriate hammer types will be on sale at your local DIY shop.
    [I have sash windows and I like sash windows BUT the draught!!!]

Thanks

Double glazing fitters are,as far as I know,expected (?) to fit at least one "escapable" window,as in one that opens fully,immediately,when glazing a whole property!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Double glazing fitters are,as far as I know,expected (?) to fit at least one "escapable" window,as in one that opens fully,immediately,when glazing a whole property!
    Yes, you have to have at least one escape window. Ours is in the back bedroom, the window opens right out.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, you have to have at least one escape window. Ours is in the back bedroom, the window opens right out.
    One per house, or one per room?

In the US the codes basically require one escape window per sleeping room

Minimum area 5 sq ft on ground floor, 24 inches high min., 20 inches wide min., and the sill to be no higher that 44 inches over the floor.

When we lived in Los Angeles, many people perished in fires because of having barred windows and not meeting the above code. Bars are OK, but they must have a release from inside. Sadly, many folks went cheaper and just fastened the bars to the exterior wall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    One per house, or one per room?

In the US the codes basically require one escape window per sleeping room

Minimum area 5 sq ft on ground floor, 24 inches high min., 20 inches wide min., and the sill to be no higher that 44 inches over the floor.

When we lived in Los Angeles, many people perished in fires because of having barred windows and not meeting the above code. Bars are OK, but they must have a release from inside. Sadly, many folks went cheaper and just fastened the bars to the exterior wall.
    Not sure,but I think it's governed by floors,1st,2nd,etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast