Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peel's 'Liverpool Waters' development: Some questions

Default Peel's 'Liverpool Waters' development: Some questions

Hi everyone,

I am researching an article about the proposed docklands development: http://www.liverpoolwaters.com

I forwarded the following questions to Peel, which I think, although tricky for them to answer, are totally valid:

1) Peel has outlined that its plans will make Liverpool the rival of Shanghai and New York. Both of these cities have populations of more than 8 million people, Liverpool's is less than half of one million and declining. How will the city be able to support such a huge development of high-rise buildings? In such a small city, is there an economic need for so many skyscrapers?

2) Peel has said its proposed developments will put Liverpool 'on the map'. Liverpool already has a world-famous skyline, judged by UNESCO to be a World Heritage site, is Peel not afraid its plans could overshadow this heritage?

3) The scale of the development is undoubtedly huge, could it in effect create a 'new' Liverpool away from the heart of the current city?

4) Can you tell me more about Peel's ideas for the new skyscapers to be self-sufficient in producing energy? Is this a concept that Peel will hope to be incorpating into all of its developments? Obviously, environmental concerns are are high up news agendas of late and this must affect Peel with the company's ownership of several airports.

5) How confident is Peel that in fifty years time, Liverpool will look like it has envisioned in its promotional video for the city?

This was their response:

"We are currently undertaking research and studies to ensure that what we propose is for the benefit of Liverpool.

At the moment it is a vision that we believe will become a reality. All your questions and more will be addressed over the next 12 months"

I am just wondering what your feelings are on these issues?

Thank you

My feelings are that the population of inner city Liverpool is far from declining after the mass exodus from the 60s to the 80s. Albeit, a lot of the current city centre population is student based but that again shows confidence in our city and inner city living, whether it be outsiders or locals is definitely back in vogue again - again, a mass turnaround from 1980s policy.

Peel as a private Company, ie. pumping their own money into these developments, should be encouraged, they are unlikely to want to flush money away on something they don't see as feasibly or sustainable and again, as with Grosvenor, it's private investment so some big money people are obviously seeing something in the city's future which after all, is what manchester has been doing for years so if we don't want to slip even further behind we have to move with the times and not stagnate.

The likes of the rope walks, the old docklands and delapidated brown field sites have seen a renaissance in recent years and i'm all for it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by doyouthinkhesawus View Post
    I am just wondering what your feelings are on these issues?
    I am also "just wondering" if you are another troll from up the motorway? You see, my suspicions are naturally aroused when you have also answered most of the queries you, yourself, have posed.

By-the-way, metropolitan Shanghai has a population in excess of 20 (twenty) million people. The figures you quote for New York includes the whole population of the five boroughs. Liverpool's population is no longer in decline and is, indeed, climbing and has been increasing over almost the whole of the last decade. The University of Salford, on their web site, gives the figures thus: Liverpool 469,017 to Manchester's 394,269. Visit the site and you will see the figures for yourself.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 05-03-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

I suppose a 'Derelict Dock Area'....Would be far nicer??/!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenotoole123@msn.com View Post
    I suppose a 'Derelict Dock Area'....Would be far nicer??/!!!!
    Than Manchester? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Help find Madeleine

Default Thanks

Thank you for responses. I would like to point you to this article:

http://http://www.bdonline.co.uk/sto...de=3083219&c=1

I am not a 'troll' from Machester, thank you, I am from Liverpool. I was born in Liverpool, live in Liverpool, studied in Liverpool and work in Liverpool.

I have not answered my own questions and the only motivaton I have for asking them is to get a response. My personal beliefs do not come into it.

Whatever questions the Echo didn't ask, I would like to ask them. Somebody has to.

Default by the way

If you read the questions properly, you will see they come from concern for my home town. Peel's suggestion that their plans would but Liverpool 'on the map' is somewhat arrogant. My question was intended to inquire as to why they do not believe it is 'on the map' already.

Ergo the question about creating a new city centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    I am also "just wondering" if you are another troll from up the motorway? You see, my suspicions are naturally aroused when you have also answered most of the queries you, yourself, have posed.

By-the-way, metropolitan Shanghai has a population in excess of 20 (twenty) million people. The figures you quote for New York includes the whole population of the five boroughs. Liverpool's population is no longer in decline and is, indeed, climbing and has been increasing over almost the whole of the last decade. The University of Salford, on their web site, gives the figures thus: Liverpool 469,017 to Manchester's 394,269. Visit the site and you will see the figures for yourself.
    I also dispute your figures for the Shanghai and New York populations.

Thank you for responses. I would like to point you to this article:

http://http://www.bdonline.co.uk/sto...de=3083219&c=1
    Do you mean this link?
    http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...rycode=3083943 or this one?
    http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...rycode=3083219
    Last edited by Sloyne; 05-03-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

I also dispute your figures for the Shanghai and New York populations.
    Dispute as much as you want, the figures are taken from official sources. The NYC figures are from their own web site and the Shanghai figures are from the UNESCO, Lonely Planet and Wikepedia web sites. The last full census of Shanghai was in 2001 when it's population was 17 million.
    Help find Madeleine

Figures aside anyway - what's the alternative - do nothing.

What if Peel were pumping this money into Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester - we'd be saying why not us?

When they're pumping that much money in they can say what they want as far as i'm concerned but yes, I do think we are on the map already but i'd say try and watch people ignore us when these developments take hold - the rest will be rightly jealous.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default ...

Yes, I'm looking at the Wikipedia sites... I see your figure for Shanghai, but the city figure is: 9,938,000

The figure for the New York city area is: 8,143,198

Besides, I am not looking to nit-pick over these kinds of figures!

Just hoping to get your views to inform my article further.

I mean this article: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3083219&c=1

Thank you

If Liverpool thinks big enough this will put us back in the big time.

Blog Entries

@doyouthinkhesawus - Welcome to the forum

@Sloyne - Play nicely
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

We must be allowed to air our thoughts.
    I've seen too many wonderful schemes come, and then go.
    I don't want to be a wet blanket, but when I first saw the renders for this, I thought (to put it mildly) that it was rather ambitious, as I did the plans for the Wirral.
    Have we come any further than vague promises?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast