Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is genealogy search site charging when the persons you look for are long ago dead?

Default Ancestry... free!

Quote Originally Posted by roymusto View Post
    I've been doing family search for the past 3years and Ancestry gave 3 days free due to a special they were doing. Many other site say they are "free", but when you get in that site and start to search they cut you off and ask for money. It should be either free as they offer or just state that you have to pay instead of tricking people
    I received 14 days free on Ancestry, no probs! You provide your credit/debit card details and in return receive your free period, if you decide not to proceed, contact the company before the free period expires and you are not charged... simples! Otherwise you are signed up for a further 12 months and your card is then debited.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by roymusto View Post
    I've been doing family search for the past 3years and Ancestry gave 3 days free due to a special they were doing. Many other site say they are "free", but when you get in that site and start to search they cut you off and ask for money. It should be either free as they offer or just state that you have to pay instead of tricking people
    There are are some useful sites that are free,though not fully complete....yet!

http://www.freereg.org.uk/search/index.htm
    http://www.freecen.org.uk/
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
    http://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/
    http://www.rootschat.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....com/~hibernia/

I use 8 FREE sites for research....do you want to post a name/dob/.....or whatever /whoever you are looking for...?....for instance
    www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html then put in name /year....you may be lucky and that particular persons Church Parish Records are recorded....goes back to 1500`s....even before the English Civil War......it`s knowing where to look.....allan

I find it so frustrating that it's a good job I had massive help of one particular Yoer.

I've even searchhed for pretty recent records which are not archived yet - I mean my own and my parents are not even to be found. I can understand them starting with the earliest first. By the way. I do know who I am, it was just out of curiosity that I looked for myself
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

t was just out of curiosity that I looked for myself
    Ged,has'nt anyone told you that you can't find your own past...this has to be done by someone in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I find it so frustrating that it's a good job I had massive help of one particular Yoer.

I've even searchhed for pretty recent records which are not archived yet - I mean my own and my parents are not even to be found. I can understand them starting with the earliest first. By the way. I do know who I am, it was just out of curiosity that I looked for myself
    Don't various privacy laws prevent archiving of recent data?

Not sure. You can access the voting/polling records/burials/street listings right up until the 80s at least.

So who are you....exactly?

Hang on a mo, the mirror's up in the room. Be back soon..................................

Not sure. You can access the voting/polling records/burials/street listings right up until the 80s at least.
    I guess the US is the same for the records you mention, but they are fairly local - state/county/town/voting district.

The overall country wide data at the US Census apparently has a 72 year policy - my highlight -

In keeping with the Census Bureau's commitment to confidentiality, the Census Bureau information collected in the Decennial Census of Population and Housing on individuals does not become available to the public until after 72 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12