Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Madryn Street

The streets are still there.

I've not noticed the house with all the flowers outside everytime I went down there.

I prefer the look of these brick houses over the modern estate looking houses they build, the Ringo houses are more colourful.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

They're now all empty and the Welsh streets along with 5 or 6 other demolition areas have recently been put on the 'streets ahead' page of my site below.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    That story is full of misinformation.

That house was being photographed from very early on. Ringo's mum told us fans were climbing up the drainpipe to look into his bedroom (funny story there but I had best not repeat it!) When he first joined the Beatles girls started going to the house, Mrs. Graves felt very sorry for them as some of them had come from out of town so she gave them tea!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Mine, mine, mine!!

I have all four but as we are talking about Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Mine, mine, mine!!
    Oooh,eh lah!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Oooh,eh lah!!
    Did I get a tad possessive then? I have some of those Beatle's magazines and the 1964 Newsweek which just had the four haircuts basically,

John and Paul gave me armsful (is there such a word?) of stuff fans had given them one night outside the Cavern but tons of what seemed to be 15 year olds begged me for them and at 20 I felt I should give them even though I did not want to. I gave them everything

Still, in my will I want all my Beatles stuff to go home so I hope one of my cousins is a Beatles fan. I should find out before I make my will out!

There's a great exhibition of Liverpool music, on at the museum. There's plenty of memorabilia on show, including some stuff that I've hung on to myself! Maybe when you go on to join the lad's,as it were,(George & John)you could leave your "stuff" to them,for posterity!

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    this is just a few doors from Ringo's old place on Madryn St...
    I lived in the house two doors away from her on the left... she is a lovely woman. I can't remember a time she didn't have flowers outside.

Did she plant the tree
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Visited Ringo's house over the weekend on the Magical Mystery Tour. Virtually every property in Madryn Street is boarded up which means it looks as if they are going to rip the whole lot down as part of the regeneration. Liverpool is a wonderful city where heritage and regeneration combine to great affect. I guess Ringo's house will be pulled down. It's difficult to envisage how they can redevlop the area and just leave one of the old houses standing.

Yes Peter it is going but that's life. He was born there but spent most of his early life to Beatle fame across the road at 10 Admiral Grove where no doubt the MMT took you too.

He Didn't think much about liverpool people though did he

Big Nose Git,,

If you mean THAT interview, I think he could have used the opportunity to better portray the city but it was a city long since changed since he last lived here though he has popped back for family visits and a U.S. tv show before the 08 opening.

See the Ringo thread and the incident where he met a scouser in the restaurant for probably the REAL Ringo.

Below...........

07-24-2008 #183
    michaelmace
    ----

Five of the most memorable minutes of my life....

I was in a Los Angeles restaurant for lunch many years ago with the love of my life and who should walk in and sit quite close to my table but Ringo, his missus and a few other people; I actually didn't notice him until I heard this Scouse accent and lots of laughter from the table. I was just awestruck that I was in the same room as him and, believe me, I'm not the kind of guy to hero worship people; my partner was quite stunned at how flustered I was. For quite a long time, heart racing, I thought about going over to shake hands with him but then several random people started dropping by the table and interrupting his meal and I felt sorry for him, though he was quite charming in dealing with it all. I finally thought "Nah, give the guy some peace and quiet; however I try to deal with it, I'll just look like another thoughtless gawker. I'll just nod and wave on the way out and say something like "Nice to see another Scouser in LA".

About half an hour later, I went to the toilet and, as I came back out, he was walking in. I smiled at him and said, "This might be the only place you'll get some peace and quite, Mr Starkey". He spotted my accent straight away and asked me what part of Liverpool I was from, talked about a friend he'd had in Walton, I mentioned that a friend's dad had booked The Beatles for an early gig in Litherland Town Hall and he vaguely remembered the gig. Another guy brushed past us to get into the toilets and I said something like "Ah, well, I'll leave you in peace" but he just touched me on the arm and said "No, we're good, it's nice to catch up" and we chatted a bit more about what I was doing in LA and for a living. He asked me if I ever missed Liverpool. I told him that I had no-one back there still living I cared about and that, from occasionally chatting with other Scousers I met, it had all changed way beyond recognition anyway. He said that that was true but, all the same, it was the city that had made us what we were. I agreed with him and then one of his friends came up and said that they were all leaving. Ringo grinned at me and said he'd better get into the toilet before he wet himself and he shook my hand, patted me on the shoulder and went in.

I went back to my table and told my partner about it; she thought it was incredibly funny because I was so pleased and proud and starstruck. As Ringo came back out and headed to his table to pick up something or other, he gave me the thumbs up and then left...probably with his missus saying "Who was that bloke you gave the thumbs up to?"

He loves his city; it's just not his home any more. Those of us who have a great deal of distance from Liverpool in time and space don't have the fierce pride in it that those still living there do. But that doesn't mean that we are dissing it in saying that there's nothing there that we miss. And we're not so quick to anger if there is some kind of overt or implied criticism of the city.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast