Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolworths Liverpool

I have memories of the one on West Derby rd, Tuebrook. It closed many years ago. I used to love going in there when I was a kid.

The one in Old Swan is still going strong.

I remember the one in London Road as well as Church Street, it became that amusement arcade that is still there. Isn't there still one in St. John's precinct (does anyone still call this the precinct?)
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Apparently Woolworths aren't doing very well these days, and one of their stores is closing down, which is nothing new in Liverpool.
    The first Woolies in the UK was here in Church Street, 100 years ago next year. (Now Clarks Shoes).
    This photo is Ormskirk and the building is almost a twin of the one in Park Road, which was built in Woolies post-war house style.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    There was something on the news about Woolworths yesterday. It stated that the buildings may be worth more than the value of the company. It also said it will be 100 years old next year, if it lasts that long.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6266703.stm
    Woolworths in Australia and New Zealand is a very succesful supermarket chain now , check the link

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2068532.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I remember the one in London Road as well as Church Street, it became that amusement arcade that is still there. Isn't there still one in St. John's precinct (does anyone still call this the precinct?)
    oh yes I remember the London rd one very well. Shame it closed really.

I still say precinct actually lots of people do.

John(Zappa)

Am sure there's still a Woolies in Crosby and Southport too.
    Woolies was boss as a kid.The free sweets,pic and mix too.I got my first pair of "Risley runaways from their" (all black plimsoles),they where fast (haha).
    I Think every kid in the 70's who would go to woolies would come out with more than they paid for.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Woolies was boss as a kid.The free sweets,pic and mix too.I got my first pair of "Risley runaways from their" (all black plimsoles),they where fast (haha).
    I Think every kid in the 70's who would go to woolies would come out with more than they paid for.
    What a wonderful memory you've got if you remember how things stuck to your hands when you came out of Woolies.

We called those pumps/plimsolls 'Borstal Breakouts' John. Black cloth with a shiny toecap, I remember my dad taking me to the army and navy stores in Whitechapel that was just around the corner from St. Johns lane, bottom of Queens Sq area.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Default Former Woolworths, Great Homer Street.

Before it was built in the 1920s, a cinema was planned for this site.

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    yes there's one in South Rd, Waterloo not far from Crosby and the Southport one is by Lord St. there's also a branch in Bootle Strand shopping centre.

my fondest memory of Woolies is my late dad taking me to the restaurant in the Church St branch for sausage and chips, every now and again. we didn't have a lot of money so it was a real treat when we went.

not sure if anyone's posted this site up anywhere yet...http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/

plus of course who could ever forget the great Christmas TV ads they did. I think there's one on Youtube.
    Last edited by quincyg; 02-23-2008 at 12:50 AM.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    aye I do. to be honest I can't recall ever saying I was going to St Johns, I've always called it the precinct.
    it's odd how we get used to saying certain things. I was asked by someone just before Xmas if I could give them directions to the gyratory.

There is still one in St Helens with it's own Restaurant
    Once a blue always a blue

now this brings back memories. I vaguely remember buses on Church St as a toddler.

Scouseology book

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    now this brings back memories. I vaguely remember buses on Church St as a toddler.
    Scouseology book
    Yes, quite.

Isn't it amazing how much better things were before they were improved so much?

PhilipG

The buses went into town via Church Street and Dale Street and had a 'C' or a 'D' after the number so you'd know the difference.
    Now you have to get off at Lewis's and walk.
    That's progress?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast