Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolworths Liverpool

PhilipG

Default Woolworths, London Road.

Occupied for many years by Seldon's Amusements, Woolworth's 'W' is still in the entrance doorways.

MariaC

Does anybody know what they are going to do with the old reservoir just around the corner ? I know that all the public toilets and the market area is being taken over by Tescoes. Now that they have got the Mecca Bingo there is going to be a lot of re-developement over the next 6 months.

Default Another old Woolworths

This one's in Garston's very own Manchester look alike Speke Rd "Arndale Centre". Well almost but it is an Arndale Centre. Shop now operated by Iceland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garston Shopping parade Speke Rd 242R.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	3229  
    Last edited by taffy; 06-03-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Blog Entries

This row needs a spring clean taffy
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Spring Clean

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    This row needs a spring clean taffy
    Yes and Edgar's shop needs an internal one too!! I suppose he's just hanging on in business like many others in Garston. Cheap prices though.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Woolworths, Allerton Road, July 2006.
    Didn't Woolworths nearly pull out of Liverpool when their main, Church Street, store closed? Allerton Road remained as far as I remember, though. They returned to the city centre with the one in St. Johns market.

Thanks for this pic, Marky. My wife was amazed to see there was still a Woolworth's in Allerton Road. We no longer have them here in the United States as far as I know.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I remember the Church Street store as a young cheeky kid

Getting all the toys out of the boxes and playing with them on the floor:
    checking to see if there were any new Matchbox cars I could collect (89p I think they were!); stealing a sweet from the pic 'n mix counter; getting weighed on the big red weighing machine for 2p; having Sausage, Chips, Peas and Gravy from the Restsurant upstairs. (Is it me or was this called Reece's Restaurant?); the announcements on the PA: "Mrs Johnson. telephone please, Mrs Johnson"; messing around in the Photo Booth.

God, I used to love Woolies. Does anyone have any pictures of this place - it was an institution.

Got no pics of Woolies Church Street but fornd this on Google >>>>>>

http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/xmasdecs.htm

and this one as well>>>>>>

http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/pnm3dand6d.htm

Phredd
    Last edited by phredd; 07-13-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    I remember the Church Street store as a young cheeky kid

Getting all the toys out of the boxes and playing with them on the floor:
    checking to see if there were any new Matchbox cars I could collect (89p I think they were!); stealing a sweet from the pic 'n mix counter; getting weighed on the big red weighing machine for 2p; having Sausage, Chips, Peas and Gravy from the Restsurant upstairs. (Is it me or was this called Reece's Restaurant?); the announcements on the PA: "Mrs Johnson. telephone please, Mrs Johnson"; messing around in the Photo Booth.

God, I used to love Woolies. Does anyone have any pictures of this place - it was an institution.

Fond memories too , remember the policeman in his raised box outside directing the traffic/pedestrians?

When I was in there it was £ s d LOL

Rob

PhilipG

Woolworth's closed on 4 June 1983 and I took a photo.
    It's just been put on the 1980s / 1990s thread.

Hi there - I can vividly recall the old tills in I think the Park Road, Woolies - same block anyway with the black shoots that dispensed your change. I was rather young at the time. I have fond memories of the area including the market and the really awful green dungarees with yellow shirts worn by the staff in the big supermarket - forget what it was called. Not forgetting Ray's china shop.
    I hate the way they've left the whole area to rot - too much of our heritage is tied up in the entire area but then thats what we do best - destroy it.

chippie

Default j j lowe & son ltd 1a st vincent street, liverpool

I would like to mention about the little bit of nostalgia that I found in the local market recently. It was two pieces of paper, one a specification for a painting job to be done on the CATHOLIC WOMENS LEAGE HOSTAL, in Shaw Street Liverpool dated 11.9.1956 The cost is £71 to decorate the ground floor office, stairs to basement and basement passage and kitchen.

The work consists of stripping walls, waterpaint two coats from ceiling to frieze, paper walls at7 shillings a roll (35p) burn off paint on woodwork to windows, paint two coats of gloss to same

replaster defective plaster, paint ceilings, limewash two coats to walls in kitchen and tidy up.

Cricky, you couldn,t get a bloke to come out for an estimate for that nowadays.

The hostal was in 119 Shaw Street.

There was something on the news about Woolworths yesterday. It stated that the buildings may be worth more than the value of the company. It also said it will be 100 years old next year, if it lasts that long.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6266703.stm

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for this pic, Marky. My wife was amazed to see there was still a Woolworth's in Allerton Road. We no longer have them here in the United States as far as I know.

Chris

When I was a kid - Woolies was known as the sixpenny store. It has now gone O.T.T. and priced itself out. Poundbusters, etc, have taken over. Yet the Woolies in Allerton Road is still going. Good luck to them, I miss the one in Park road.

Before the one in Church street closed did they not change the name to Woolco, or was that the one in Kirkby?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast