YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To be or not to be (Scouse)?

Thanks

Default To be or not to be (Scouse)?

A few years ago I met a scouser lady in a pub and we got jangling as you do. She asked where I was born and when I said Kirkby (West Vale) she said I wasnt a true Scouser. She explained that because I was born before Kirby was really a part of Liverpool that I must be a Wooly back !

I KNOW what a Wooly Back si I told her.

ADVERTISING

I was quite insulted at this as you can imagine, more so than I ever thought I might be.

I replied that Liverpool isnt like London were you have to be born in within the sound of Bow Bells to be considered a Cockney. You are still a Londoner in my book.

She also said that my eldest son was indeed a Scouser because he was born in Oxford Street Maternity Unit.

So lads and lasses what do you think ?

Am I a scouser or just someone hanging on the shirt tails of the Pool ?

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar
    Thanks

I find that people in Kirkby seem more scouse. This may sound stupid but I wonder whether it is because all the townies got moved up there with the clearances. Don't know whether this makes any sense but does it really matter? You might say it could be an advantage not being a scouser as we all seem to get tarred by the same brush. Mind you the accent is a give away...

Thanks

This has been debated tothe death as to whether someone is scouse or not.

The way I look at it is....if we can go back through 6 or 7 decades of our ancestory or even further we can class ourselves as an adopted scouser and not true scouser.

Rolf Harris thinks he's Australian but in reality he's Welsh(adopted Aussie)because his parents emigrated to Oz in 1911,they probably were not Welsh?

Thanks

We have had this debate before on this forum, but I wouldn't know where to locate the threads now !
    and we've had many rather heated debates about what we like to be known as, ie, Scousers or Liverpudlians.(Some people objecting to being called Scousers and prefer to be called Liverpudlian).
    There is a thread somewhere called, 'Are Prescotians Scouse?' or some similar title. ( or is it, 'are people from Huyton Scouse?' ) There may be some more of the debate there.

I would class people from Kirkby as being Scousers - or Liverpudlians whatever you prefer.
    They are certainly not woolyback !

Thanks

Thanks guys, I would prefer to be called a Scouser but being called Liverpudlian wouldnt offend me.

I feel Scouse to the core.

After leaving Liverpool 25 years ago I still have a recognisable accent which I have never tried to soften though I do use Yorkisms like lass and
    spice (sweets) and breeks (trousers).

Thanks

Erm, where did the inhabitants of Kirkby come from in the first place (not all that long ago) ? Wasn't it an early experiment in social cleansing involving the inhabitants of a nearby city?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast