Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlamb Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I know that I'm not going to sell it to you, Shoney, but I should have mentioned New Zealand Lamb.
    I think I'm right in saying that Fyffes at Garston imported more bananas than anywhere else.
    thanks for that philip, i'm not sold still, i've had fyffes in scarborough and great yarmouth, in fact chubby brown has a joke about it in his act and he's from middlesboro, nz lamb goes everywhere and isn't unique to liverpool or jap sculptors, like i say i'm not sold but I do appreciate your interpretations , they do look good, they are in-offensive and very clever in their designs, i've no more to add, good luck with them

Everyone is talking about them lots of people are going on Superlamb hunts, especially the children of course. All the different designs have everyone thinking. What do the patterns and colours represent.
    Here's one I took today in Newsham park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6220002.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	7033  

Didn't Sir Alfred Lewis Jones of Elder Dempster line popularise the eating of bananas in the UK? He used to give them away to people who visited him and in the street. His statue is/was at the Pier Head.

Yes, here we are, from the National Museums site at
    http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...pgeInt=&catStr

"Alfred Jones was the first merchant to import bananas to England in 1884. "

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    It's a great pity that the City Council don't have anything better to spend their time and money on - like abandoned buildings waiting to fall down.... rather than spend a load of our tax payers money on stupid objects that have no meaning in Liverpool.

Have we finally forgotten the Liver Bird and when will it be taken down from the Liver Buildings?
    Well said Cad..
    That's exactly what I keep saying.
    They put these stupid SLB everywhere yet there are broken paving slabs,boarded up houses,filthy streets etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Any idea as to why the lamb banana outside Allerton Library is covered in a pale blue sheet ?
    I think it's due to be unvelied as part of the launch of "Allerton in Bloom". A scheme much like "Woolton in Bloom". It should really be "Mossley Hill in Bloom" as the plans are for flower tubs etc all along the Allerton Rd shops which of course are not in Allerton.

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Well said Cad..
    That's exactly what I keep saying.
    They put these stupid SLB everywhere yet there are broken paving slabs,boarded up houses,filthy streets etc etc.

Capital of Culture only lasts for one year. Its a thing the whole city should feel part of. However most events (that will bring in the tourists) are going to be based in the city centre. The SLBs are a way of showing everyone that their area is a part of this special year.

Some people, particularly kids like to collect things, so its only natural that knowing there's a limit number of SLBs around for a limit time, they are going to want to see and photograph them before they've gone forever. This is a great idea as it gets people to parts of the city they've probably never ever thought about or had a reason to go to. This is a bit of fun and is great for the local economy who get new customers who pop in while passing near the SLBs.
    However it will also show these visitors that there are still badly run down areas of this city and that the council should be embarrassed enough to do something about them.

Repairing paving slabs etc.. isn't going to bring people in to visit these places.

In 30 years John you'll be on another forum like this asking people to post a full set of SLB photos

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Everyone is talking about them lots of people are going on Superlamb hunts, especially the children of course. All the different designs have everyone thinking. What do the patterns and colours represent.
    Great photo...Interesting how the lambanana is full of flowers, and the rose bushes empty of their foliage..

Almost looks like the flowers flew to the lambanana and attached themselves... Quite surreal... ta for sharing..

Personally they are strange looking..yet, do represent something we need to all address...the altering of mother nature and what it could cause..

Do they post a little plaque by them to tell what they represent? Just wondered....

Would be great for the kids, etc.. to take in, and make them think of the Earths future.. (hopefully), be able to keep Their world in the future intact.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Did you notice the crushed rose bush underneath, what a place to site it right in the centre of a rose display!

NL. yes there are plaques to tell you about each Superlamb.

Default Pavements

Posted by MACATEB -

Repairing paving slabs etc.. isn't going to bring people in to visit these places.

Not repairing them is not going to endear people to come back to Liverpool either.

Have you looked at the work of art that passes as a pavement down the length of William Brown St?

It looks like they had a crazy paving contest in a lunatic asylum and the losers where awarded the contract!

As for the sets in the roadway, some of the gaps between the sets are wider than the sets themselves.

Default BREAKING NEWS!!

oh and by the way, the superlambananas were paid for by sponsors

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    Did you notice the crushed rose bush underneath, what a place to site it right in the centre of a rose display!
    This say's it all. Where I live they planted outside a factory approx 800 boxus plants and also some well established trees. Now six months later they've ripped all the boxus up,cut the trees down and left it bare!!
    It baffles me .

I like it - a jealous Liver Bird!
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast